new connection types

bpmufx

I'm trying to sort out the newest digital means of connecting to devices:
USB- I understand this is just not going to work with midi well. True?
FIREWIRE-
SPDIF- exactly how does SPDIF connect to comp? serial, parallel, or do you need a sound card with SPDIF conn there? I'm using a Mac and looking at Digitech's new PR21 (guitar sound device (with SPDIF output).
I'd love to hear that there is a SPDIF>serial
interface.
Thanks for this forrum its a real help.

USB is a great technology for external devices that would typically use a parallel or serial port. It's very fast and very scalable. I don't know how this would relate to midi at all...I've never seen a soundcard with a USB port...

Firewire is Macintoh's high-speed external interface. I don't own a Mac but I've heard it's really fast and whatnot...not suprising really. I also don't see how this would relate to audio devices.

SPDIF, however, is a digital interface standard created by Sony and Phillups. You'll find an SPDIF port right on the soundcard. It's my guess that this port is used to connect audio equipment like DATs and samplers. I doubt that you're going to find a SPDIF to serial connector...that just doesn't make sense. Your soundcard will have to support SPDIF.

Search the web and search dejanews. You'll find your answers. For what you're talking about though, I'd concentrate on SPDIF.

Slackmaster 2000

Back