new computer

lronhoover

I'm looking into getting a new computer, to only be used with my music and video stuff. Looking at a Dell Dimension 8300, P4, 3Ghz w/ 800 MHz FSB. 1GB SDRAM @ 400 MHz memory 250 GB Hard drive (7200 rpm). I use a 20 bit Layla and a 20 bit Gina cards in my system. Running Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 and Soundforge 6.0. I also Have Adobe Preimere 6.5 for my video stuff. I've been hearing that Dell is not as good as it once was. And I may have trouble fitting my cards in the slots. Any help on what some of you would build for around $1,400 budget?

you can get that sweet of a dell for 1400???? wow their prices must have come way down. I think there was a similar pot about a new comp or maybe you posted in two diffrent forums i don't know. anywho like i suggested before maybe check out other retailers to put a comp together for you. a local comapny will but together pretty much whatever you want, and they are relativly cheap. With dell you can get some awsome gear with good flexability but sometime you are forced to get options you don't need (monitors, over-featured graphics card, wireless this and that). I don't see the point in paying for anything that is not useful to be used on a computer that is not inteded for anyting but music and video. Maybe if you went to a local retailer they could put your soundcards in for you, and thus you would not even hae to buy a soundcad from them (like you would have to with Dell). Finally, i am only speaking on intenet experience i have seen with dell, maybe they are more flexible over the phone.

Thanks for the replys. I've been hearing some stories about the newer Dells that are not to good on the reviews. I'll visit one of the local shops and talk with a few people that work there and see what I can come up with. The more I check into it the more I'm starting to lean toward building my own. But this is still the best place I've found to come and get the info to getting me on the right track. Thanks again.

Wow, for that much money you could wind up with a fantastic computer if you just do it yourself! It's really not all that hard, and the guys here are veterans and I'm sure would be willing to help you out if you got in a bind.

This thread --> https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?threadid=115660 has already seen some good advice. :)

Dell is very good at making computers that run right out of the box and will not be upgraded or modified. Perfect for schools, grandparents, first PCs ever, but horrible for DAWs, from what I've read here and elsewhere.

This machine would slay a Dell:

Antec Sonata w/ 380w PS: $105.00
WD 250gig SATA 7.2k RPM drive: $214.00
Lite-On 52x32x52 CDRW: $34.00
Pioneer DVR-107 8x DVD+/-R/W: $136.00
Intel 3.2Ghz 800Mhz FSB: $287.00
Crucial 1gig DDR400 (512MB*2): $176.00
Asus P4P800 Deluxe: $122.00
Matrox G650 dual DVI 64MB DDR: $154.00
Logitech Optical desktop: $31.00
Windows XP Pro: $138.50

Total: $1,397.50

Prices obtained from my favorite online computer store, Newegg.com :D

One of the computer guys at work told me about newegg. I was checking it out last night. I'll go back and look at your list. Thanks

lronhoover said:
One of the computer guys at work told me about newegg. I was checking it out last night. I'll go back and look at your list. Thanks

I buy from new egg and I'm going with whatever gets te best reviews, and of course with what the guys here and other forums advice.
I just bougth the Asus P4P800 Mobo, Lite on CDburner, 1Gig Kingston memory, Video card.....I'm wating for my Sonata Case and my Hdrives, by the way the Antec Sonata case is on SALE! for $89.00. :cool:

Back