new comp/reverb plugin

chestwick91

I am looking for a good comp plugin and a good reverb plugin, easy to use and it has to be vst format...i am wondering if you guys got any ideas
thanks

The compression seems to be covered, the classic series stuff is really good quality. For the reverb, check out KVR audio and look up SIR. It's a convolution reverb (and free) that does pretty well. There are also a few sites to download convolution samples from. While you're on KVR, you might as well look around at the other plugs they have too. They have loads of free plugins, and some are actually quite functional. :D

pikingrin said:
The compression seems to be covered, the classic series stuff is really good quality. For the reverb, check out KVR audio and look up SIR. It's a convolution reverb (and free) that does pretty well. There are also a few sites to download convolution samples from. While you're on KVR, you might as well look around at the other plugs they have too. They have loads of free plugins, and some are actually quite functional. :D
KVR is a treasure trove!

yeah, i have downloaded a few plugins from kvr, but i cant seem to get them to work? but thats nice to know there are good free plugins out there

How do they not work? All you need to do is put the .dll files (and anything else possibly associated with the particular plug) into your folder with all of your other plugins, and when you start up your daw it should pick them up and they should be useable. Unless, of course, you got one that still had bugs in it.

BRIEFCASEMANX said:
CSR, AAR, and UAD Plate 140 beg to differ.
You forgot the plate/spring reverb section on the PSP84. Sure, they're some of the better software reverbs... Until you compare them to Eventides, Kurzweils, Lexicons...

Obviously you're one of those that needs the obligatory :p :D :eek:

Go ahead an neg rep me again. I stand by what I stated.

Last edited:
There really is no such thing.

noisewreck said:
You forgot the plate/spring reverb section on the PSP84. Sure, they're some of the better software reverbs... Until you compare them to Eventides, Kurzweils, Lexicons...

All of which probably generate software created reverbs and of course, computers don't do software right? So you could never get a PC to do that..

Did I every say never? I was just commenting on the current state of the affairs. Dedicated FX boxes are dedicated FX boxes so they don't have to deal with file management, disk defrag, web surfing, screen redraws, processing a bazillion other plugsins, etc so they can use as much processing power as they like...

Which is why I am still disappointed by offerings from UAD. They have a DSP card, yet their reverbs are still not "there". Although then you've got to factor in the fact that they still need to make room for the 1176s, Nigel, and all that stuff, sooo I suppose they still need to cut corners.

So still as of today, Tuesday, May 17th 2007, the dedicated hardware boxes still trump their plugin counterparts... There. Better? :D

Humbucker said:
I highly recommend both Ambience and Glaceverb for reverb plugs - I use them all the time, they really are fantastic, particularly for freebies :cool:

http://magnus.smartelectronix.com/ (go a little down the page for the Ambience DL link)

http://www.dasample.com/index.php?show=glaceverb

I've said this a million times but I'll say it again anyway. GlaceVerb is a great reverb plugin and (for some reason) it's free. I use it along with my Waves verb (which wasn't free).

Waves is a little better at simulating a real room and sounds a little better but GlaceVerb is right up there with it, I still use it a lot. I've tried tons of free reverb plugins and GlaceVerb is the best by a mile in my opinion.

OK..well..let's say that I was willing to actually pay $$ for a product and I'm not very influenced by the word "free"...cause there really is no such thing...what would be the top 2 or 3 reverb plugins? :confused:

Zed10R said:
OK..well..let's say that I was willing to actually pay $$ for a product and I'm not very influenced by the word "free"...cause there really is no such thing...what would be the top 2 or 3 reverb plugins? :confused:

GlaceVerb is free, not sure what you mean.

Only reverb I have experience with that isn't free is Waves Renaissance reverb. It can sound very realistic or just make things sound good. I'd try it out.

danny.guitar said:
I've said this a million times but I'll say it again anyway. GlaceVerb is a great reverb plugin and (for some reason) it's free. I use it along with my Waves verb (which wasn't free).

Waves is a little better at simulating a real room and sounds a little better but GlaceVerb is right up there with it, I still use it a lot. I've tried tons of free reverb plugins and GlaceVerb is the best by a mile in my opinion.

I completely agree :) Infact, I use Glaceverb way more than Ambience, or any other reverb for that matter. Most of the presets are really good starting points for further tweaking, but the piano presets are particularly outstanding IMO :)

Back