New card.. new problems. Help please!

Claudius Rex

Hello-
I've been recording for a little while using just my old Ensoniq AudioPCI card and things were going just fine (except for the audio quality, of course!). 'Twas all great till the day I purchased an Delta 66 + Omni combo. The card and preamps sound great... BUT my performance is now so bad that I can't really do any recording. Here's what I have:

CPU: AMD K6 550mhz
RAM: 256mb PC100 (i think 8ns?)
HD: Seagate 5400 17gig, not too fast but not too slow
Video: 3dfx Voodoo3 (wish I still had my crappy Rage Pro :( )

Before I was able to record 12 or so tracks without any problem at all at 44.1/16bit. Now even in that same rate I can get something like 3 or 4 without any effects (this is in Magix studio 6 btw). In N-track, things are even worse. I went down from about 10 or so tracks w/ a few effects to now 3 if I can keep it from crashing. I've tried all the audio card selections (ASIO, then WDM then MME) and they all work poorly. Could it be the VIA chipset on my mobo, my crappy FPU or what? I'm using all the latest drivers from the M-Audio Delta page.

Edit: I forgot to say exactly what happens! After recording a few tracks they begin cutting out badly, especially if I have the mixer window open. Plugins in n-Track also crash the machine half of the time.

Thanks a lot!!

Try updating your Mobo Bios. There were issues with Via so if you have an older Bios that could be the culprit.

Last edited:
Very common Delta problem. The main thing is probably the older VIA chipset but 2000 could be a problem. Try switching to 98 or xp. I use XP with my delta 44 and it performs really well in XP. Also, could be a buffer setting. Also, the newest drivers are not always the best. So be careful.

Danny

Thanks.. I'm going to try Win98 but I'm remembering that win98 doesn't work well on my motherboard. Sounds like I need a new motherboard for more than one reason- too bad I'm broke now after buying the Delta!

Soyo hasn't upgraded my BIOS since 2000, and installing the latest VIA drivers didn't do anything. I'll play around with some earlier Delta 66 drivers later.

Hey. If your not using any asio software use .27 drivers. When i had my old via motherboard that was the best driver i could find. Of course i dunno how the new ones work but i know that i used .27 with win 98 SE and didnt have popping problems.

Danny

from a novice

I am a novice, but when shopping for a soundcard on the midiman site I came across a statement that said there are conflicts with the Delta 44 and 66 with VIA chipsets. Although, at the very end of the page there were two links where you can get fixes for the problem. www.midiman.com

Back