New Bedroom Studio Pictures

Potsy24

I just finished the setup of my new recording space. Before this I had a half studio, half living room. We ditched the guest room and now I have a dedicated space for recording. No more breaking down/setting up! Best of all, I now have a decently treated acoustic space. the room isn't very big (9' 8" x 14' with 8' ceilings), but it works well enough for me. Here are the pictures:

"Control" end:
DSCN3066.jpg

DSCN3082.jpg

Here is the desk, the rack/laptop stand slides forward to allow access to the back of rack gear:
DSCN3067.jpg

DSCN3068.jpg

The top comes off as well, for better access:
DSCN3071.jpg

"Studio end":
DSCN3074.jpg
DSCN3078.jpg

2 panels hinge swing out to create a vocal booth:
DSCN3079.jpg

DSCN3081.jpg

The rug has a thick rubber mat underneath it (used under treadmills) to decouple drums from the floor, and to protect the floor from drum spurs.

Here are some pictures I took during the panel construction. For the corner bass traps I used Roxul Rockboard 60, which is the same density as OC 705. Just 1 2" panel for each trap, which are 24" x 48". I used Bonded Logic Ultra Touch recycled denim insulation for the broadband absorbers (3.5" thick, R13). The broadband absorbers are each 30" x 46". The frames are made from chipboard, which was light and cheap. They are hung with a combination of hooks, light chain and hinges. I built all 11 panels for under $200, and they saved me from wasting money on a new set of monitors. Turns out I didn't need them, just some better room treatment. All together, it only cost about $400 for acoustic panels, desk, rugs, and chairs. All I need now is some better lighting.

Frame for bass traps:
IMAG1023.jpg

back of finished bass trap:
IMAG1029.jpg

Most of the broadband absorber frames look just like the bass traps, only deeper. The 2 hinged panels got a beefier frame:
IMAG1034.jpg

That's it, thanks for checking it out!

Thanks guys, I think the vocal booth is my favorite part. Somebody is coming this weekend to record, I'm excited to see how everything works out.

That is a great setup, the traps that swing out... Stunningly beautiful, to me anyway :) Looks like a fun simple, cool studio! I find simplicity to be very inducive for my creativity. Some clutter can help with "proofing" a studio but your studio is near perfect. I'm going to post mine very soon. I will add it to this link. Thanks for sharing! Lee

Looking awesome. I'm jealous. :cool:

That vocal section is pure genius!

Just out of curiosity, why do you mount the corner bass traps so that they're half-way up the wall? The reason I ask is because, with my limited knowledge, I would think that the way you're doing it, you're not eliminating either of the wall/floor or wall/ceiling corners. So, wouldn't putting them down to the floor or up to the ceiling at least take care of one of those 2, rather than mounting them and not taking care of either?

Looking awesome. I'm jealous. :cool:

That vocal section is pure genius!

Just out of curiosity, why do you mount the corner bass traps so that they're half-way up the wall? The reason I ask is because, with my limited knowledge, I would think that the way you're doing it, you're not eliminating either of the wall/floor or wall/ceiling corners. So, wouldn't putting them down to the floor or up to the ceiling at least take care of one of those 2, rather than mounting them and not taking care of either?

Thanks man! I suppose I mounted them in the middle of the wall so that they would tame the reflections more at ear/mic level than up high or down low. I can't say that I based that on research, it just seemed to make sense to me at the time. This way was also more visually appealing to me. I do have 3 bass traps at the ceiling/wall corners. I read somewhere that any corner was equally effective (wall/wall vs. wall/ceiling vs. wall/floor). But I also think I remember reading that getting bass traps into the tri-corners where the two walls meet ceiling or floor was the most effective.

All I know for sure is that the room sounds much better now and I'm getting better raw tracks than I ever have before. I have yet to mix anything in here, but I have a feeling that my future mixes will translate better too.

Hey that studio looks really nice. Im doing some research since im planning to treat my room. I want my panels to be portable, so im basically going for gobos. I just have some really dumb questions: what is the difference between bass traps and absorbers? arent bass traps supposed to be thicker than absorbers? How do I know which do I need?

Hope someone can help me, I just need to know what are my needs before I go out and buy the materials

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the feedback. I've been working on a song with a guitar player/vocalist and I recorded a drum track for it too. We're still tracking, but I'll post the song when it's done.

Wallystripes, bass traps are built using higher density material designed to absorb low frequencies. The goal is to keep low frequency waves from bouncing around your room and overlapping in a way where they increase certain frequencies and decrease others. Broadband absorbers are less dense and designed to keep the rest of the audio range from bouncing around and causing flutter/echo. By combining the two, you (and your microphones) will hear a more accurate sound in your room both in terms of frequency response and reverberation. You can get a better explanation here: RealTraps - Acoustics Articles

Read as many articles by Ethan Winer as you can. You won't always be able to fit all his advice into your particular room, but you will at least get a good understanding of what's going on in there. It's also good to remember that your furniture will affect your acoustics. For example, the chairs to either side of my desk are helping to control first reflections.

Thanks potsy! So something like owens corning 703 would be btter suitted for bass traps? Im going to build some gobos and I dont know which type would be better (absorber or bass trap), what would you suggest?

Thanks potsy! So something like owens corning 703 would be btter suitted for bass traps? Im going to build some gobos and I dont know which type would be better (absorber or bass trap), what would you suggest?

Yes, 703 or 705 works for bass traps. 705 is more dense I believe. I used Roxul Rockboard 60, which is similar to OC 705 but costs less. It's not as rigid though. What are you using the gobos for? If you're using to set up around instruments to be recorded, then I think broadband panels would be more useful. If you're going to use them in a control room to help with monitoring, then bass traps might be more helpful. Bass traps are supposed to be placed in corners or near walls to work properly.

I suppose you could build a thicker gobo that had a layer of 705 with a layer of batt insulation over that. It might do both jobs (a broadband absorber when placed around a drumset and a bass trap when placed in a corner). Keep in mind, I'm really no expert. I just made that up and have no idea if it would work or not.

Hahaha we all make up some stuff! Well main use would be to place around instruments. So what other material could do it as absorber? I thing i will build some bass traps out of oc703 anyway and place them on the corners, but i will also need less dense fiber for my gobos.

Any suggestions on inexpensive materials that could serve this pourpose?

Back