New Album of Songs

DreadfulJake

Hey yall,
Just finished doing some home recording which culminated into a full album. thedreadfulhoroscope.bandcamp.com click there for the tracks. Let me know what you think. This is the first time I have done a cohesive album of songs all recorded in the same place/style. Give me any suggestions: sound, recording quality, songwriting, etc. All criticism is welcome, especially extremely harsh criticism. Thanks for taking the time!
-Jacob

p.s no need to download/buy all the songs can be played for free on bandcamp.

also, bandcamp is nice. you should check it out. free too

Last edited:
Well, when I heard "The Forest" I was hoping for a Drive-by-Truckers kinda tune, but was a little thrown by the experimental/atonal vocal delivery. I liked the instrumentation very much, but I'm not so sure about the vocals. Perhaps I'm too narrow-minded. If nothing else, you will never be accused of being musically predictable.

Listening to the Forest: It actually sounds a lot like REM, especially the voice.

I might scale back the reverb on the vocals for future efforts. It's a bit much as is.

I like it a lot. You're doing something different than most people here, so you won't get many compliments I think. I hear eclectic art in the song I'm listening to now. Masters Will. The vocal delivery is interesting and engaging. It reminds me of Frank Black from the pixies. Think, This Monkey's Gone to Heaven, or really the whole Death to the Pixies album. Crazy saxophone eeriness solos on this song as well,really cool. Overall good use of different instruments throughout. I do agree that the second song Forest has elements of REM's Michael Stipe as well. I love the Mandolin use in your songs. I like everything I'm hearing. I'm a big fan of mandolin myself, I use it when I can myself..

thanks for the advice so far everyone. in my case, vocals are a constant work in progress. Its like being born with a shitty voice but really wanting to sing songs. So, i am learning about singing as I go. But, i do agree that the reverb can be a bit much at times.

I like it a lot. You're doing something different than most people here, so you won't get many compliments I think. I hear eclectic art in the song I'm listening to now. Masters Will. The vocal delivery is interesting and engaging. It reminds me of Frank Black from the pixies. Think, This Monkey's Gone to Heaven, or really the whole Death to the Pixies album. Crazy saxophone eeriness solos on this song as well,really cool. Overall good use of different instruments throughout. I do agree that the second song Forest has elements of REM's Michael Stipe as well. I love the Mandolin use in your songs. I like everything I'm hearing. I'm a big fan of mandolin myself, I use it when I can myself..

Hey, I thank you for the love! I do think Frank Black is an amazing singer, and it is obviously very flattering to be compared to him or Micheal Stipe. I wish I could play the mandolin as well as my friend John who is playing it in the song, we found it to be a beautiful replacement in parts that were originally for fiddle...

Back