New Age Rock Jazz Fusion

the mix sounds good...albeit it sounds like all sampled or synthesized tracks. Nice wide stereo field.

what synths and stuff are you using..?
and what are some of the "new techniques"?

Good observation, it is all synths and samplers. Mainly I am working on trying to get a good mix straight from source to a 2 track mix in a single pass. The new technique I used was to split the snare and bass drum off to single channels for individual processing. I feel the snare track could use a little variation, but this is my initial try. In the past, I would record snare and bass first and process in the DAW.

All parts are recorded using midi, but I play all the parts by hand, no step sequencing, to try and keep a live feel to it. I do quantize the drum and bass parts, but leave a little error in it so it's not too mechanical.

This is using a DA7 mixer to automate all the fader moves. The main sounds are coming from Roland JV2080, Kurzweil K2600 and EMU Ultra 4, with a sprinkling from Roland D550 and Novation Supernova. The lead part at the end is a Yamaha DX7 processed through a Johnson J-station. That's the part I'm not real happy with. The intention was to have a smooth electric guitar like sound, but it has a plasticy feel to it, so I backed it by a moogy sound from the Supernova that is hard to hear unless you remove it. It seems to thicken it up a bit.

I consider myself mainly a composer, rather than a performer, so I'm trying to find a way to efficiently mix songs and get a decent sound without alot of post processing. So far it is a real challenge.

Thanks for the reply.

Back