New Age Christmas for you

The synth work reminds me of Ray Lynch's stuff, very pretty. The drums and bass need some work though, I don't think they fit very well, expecially the tight bass... it sounds like it belongs in a techno/dance tune, but the rest is pretty impressive. Drums are just plain boring and overly-electronic sounding.

Did I mention I hate christmas music?? lol

Pinky,

Thanks for the comments. I intentionaly went for an electronic sound, so drums and bass aren't intended to sound "real". Of course if you don't like Christmas music, that will tend to color your opinion. Notice there are no sampled sounding pianos, guitar, etc.

Blue Cyberia said:
Pinky,

Thanks for the comments. I intentionaly went for an electronic sound, so drums and bass aren't intended to sound "real". Of course if you don't like Christmas music, that will tend to color your opinion. Notice there are no sampled sounding pianos, guitar, etc.

Yeah, I forget there are those who like full digital instrumentation! :D

Like I said, nice feel and good synth work.

whoa.... over a million plays at mp3.com .... how ja do dat??

nice stuff. I agree with pinky on the drum sound. the other synth sounds I like pretty much. the drums sound too "cheap" sounding...for a lack of better words. I think there are better synth sounding drums out there that might fit better...and even a different drum pattern too.

nice lush recording.. maybe a little lacking in the extreme low end stuff, and a tad midrange heavy... but still very nice. The reverb tail at 4:04 on the break was a little artificial sounding too.

I'd be interested in knowing your synth setup.

...and how you got a zillion listens at mp3.com too!!

Mixmkr,

Interesting you mention mid-range heavy. I already pulled out alot of midrange during mixdown.

Anyway, here is a rundown of my setup for this song:

Harp arpeggio and phasey string pad - Supernova
Lead flute-like sound - Kurzweil K2600 (retrosiren patch)
French horn - combo of Supernova and Roland JV20280 horn patch
Choir - JV2080 (layered two different patches)
Bass - I think it was Supernova (I don't remember)
Drums,chimes,other strings - Roland JV2080

Reverb - DSP FX plugin

This was mixed mostly live through a Behringer 16 channel, except
drums, which were individually tracked for each drum sound to separate tracks
and EQ'd. The drums didn't really come out the way I wanted, but I didn't have
time to fix, maybe later. Bass also had a separate track. The rest of the parts
were mixed down to a single stereo track. The final tracks were mixed in
Cakewalk Pro-Audio. I've tried mixing different ways, and found less
noise build-up this way. Usually, if I have a hard time controlling a certain part,
I'll split it off into it's own track, (like the drum parts). Drums and percussion have
always been my weak point. I usually do better with rock style beats.

Of course, since I did this track, I bought a DA7 mixing board, so I have more
routing options now. I'm still learning how to use it. :)

One million listens. - There was a time about a year and a half ago when I
was leading the New Age charts. I was in the top ten for four months straight,
no promotion. How'd I get there? I don't know. It kind of snowballed. At the
time Bassic (anyone in mp3.com should know who that is), was dropping, and
somehow, I got a ride up. During that time, charts were based solely on downloads,
rather than CD sales. It was at that time I was near the top and stayed for a
pretty long time. When CD sales were again used to determine chart position,
I slowly began to drop, since I wasn't actively promoting. I got alot of attention
for a time, and had several independent fim producer's asking about using my
music. That's probably more than you wanted to know, but it was a nice ride
while it lasted. :)

wow..thanks for the lengthy reply/reply...

that WAS very interesting to read and find out about.

Bassic.....yeah I listened to a lot of their stuff...and as good as it was, I never felt any of it was REALLY good. They did seem to dominate the new age stuff there, and probably were making some change selling CD's and the download thing too. I had a song near the top of one of the smaller catagories... it was Christian Pop....or something like that. Once it got to the top, it kinda stayed there for a bit. Once you are in the top 10, peoople seem to want to listen to that stuff the most...and like you said, it does kinda snowball. But then, my stuff slipped away to nothing....:rolleyes:

oh...as far as the midrange... I was not really meaning EQ stuff. ..but more so instrument sounds, that take up that spectrum. Kinda like a band with all guitars and keyboards...but no bass and high end stuff like cymbals, etc....

However, your stuff is very good and these issues are generally minor, imo in the total scope.

Mixmkr,

I see what you mean about the midrange. You gave me a good key about why some of my mixes seem so midrangy. I guess I like those sounds in that range, and I tend to layer too many, and it builds up there. I thought maybe it had something to do with my mixer. That's what happens when you have too many synths. You are tempted to use them all. I'm learning to be more sparing in my arrangements, but I do love that lush sound. :)

Back