new adat user/mixer?

recorder

Ok, first off this is a very cool forum. I have spent two days reading almost everything.
I have been wanting a home studio for awhile. My ex-band recorded a demo tape with a guy that had 2 adat xt's and a mackie 32-8bus mixer. It didn't turn out all that great but that was due to our inexperience in a studio environment. We then recorded a 6 song cd at a studio with 2" reel to reel. I believe it was a 24 track studer. He also has a very huge board. He said he paid like 10 grand for it and commented that he got a great deal. WEll, the cd was great and did sound wonderful compared to the little demo tape we did but the tape has something that the cd doesn't. I can't really place my finger on just what it is though. I think it's clarity but not sure though.

Well I finally had the cash to start my investment and purchased an alesis adat lx20 and a mackie 1604vlz pro. My question lies in how to hook this up. My manual gives directions but am not sure on whether i understand it correctly. Can someone give some detailed info and provide me the exact cords I need to have the work correctly. I am new so details mean alot. Thanks for any replies in advance.

You'll need 16 cables (or a snake) with RCAs on one end and 1/4" phono plugs on the other. You can drive the inputs to the ADATs from the inserts on the first 8 channels of the Mackie and playback into the last 8. If you need to group more than one channel to be recorded at one time you can use the the buss outputs (groups 1 thru 4). The main outs you can use to drive your monitor system. A patch bay would be very handy thing to have for routing.

I have the same setup. I bought the elnico snake, gets you from -10db to + 4 db and saves alot of time an hassle. I run the 4 buss outputs of the mackie into the adat 1-4 inputs, this give flexability to assign any channel to any of the busses, and the 5-8 direct outs of the mackie into the adats 5-8 inputs. The 8 out from the adat will go to line in on the mackie 9-16. They show this setup in the mackie manual in the beggining. If you want effects on the way in while recording you have to use the channel inserts, you cant use the fx sends and returns. Depress the main LR switch on each channel 9-16 to route the signal to the mains. Makie says its manual is well written but its not as clear as they seem to think. If any of this seems unclear, its not, you its me.

ok, i have a snake that has 8 rca's on one end and 1/4 inch plugs on the other. I am connecting the rca end to the adat ins and the 1/4 inch side to my mixer. I have all 4 group/bus outs and channels 1-4 direct out.

I still need another snake that has these same ends in order to listen/monitor what i am recording...right? And these I would connect to the adat out rca jacks to the 1/4 inch in of my mackie and choose channels 9-16 line in correct?

I am short a snake then. I went to guitar center and I was trying to purchase an alesis studio pack but they no longer carry it. So, he sold me individually the same deal. Except now I have no snake to monitor my recordings...Hey, I got the adat lx20 and the 1604 mackie along with the nanoverb,nanocompressor,8channel snake,patch cords for the fx for 2287.00 final price(tax included). Do you think that was a good deal. Also, what are your thoughts on the Alesis 32 or 24 mixer compared to the Mackie. I bought the mackie simply because everyone says you can't go wrong with one and also because our first demo was done on one.

you should use the direct outs 5-8 on the mackie to the adats 5-8 in. Yes you need another snake to get your monitoring. The mackie is a good board and from what I have read it is rated better than the alesis boards allthough you
cant believe anything you read. It is a subjective thing, if
ya like it, go with it. You should look into the elnico snake though, I believe it makes a big difference, about
120.00 bucks, look in the adat manual for an explanation.
You dont need another snake for monitoring while you are recording, you can do that through the headphone jack on the mackie. You need the other snake to monitor playback after you have recorded and want to listen.

thanks man. that is exactly what I needed to understand. Now it's looking clearer. I was not understanding how i could not hear what i was recording but I can. I just can't listen back to the adat without the other snake or repatching to the outs to listen.

On another note, any suggestions on any good monitors? Ive heard the yamaha m5's i believe and they sounded great.

I love my tannoys and my adat. Cant really say though because I dont have much exp. with this equipment, its what
I bought and I am happy. Ignorance is bliss.

Back