new acoustic/synthy song

BlackHawk2029

my cousin and i just recorded this last night between the hours of 11 PM and 5 AM. just thought i'd throw it up and see what you all think. there are no vocals yet so it gets a bit repetitive. just acoustic guitar, bass guitar (more for effect than low end), programmed drums, and some 3x oscillerators (one high up, and one to fill in for the bass), and a ts 404.

http://media.putfile.com/ashes-35

Noice

Very nice overall volume, would love to her some vocals added, i would ad a bit more kick level, it my be enough tho im only listening to it on cans ATM.

Very kool tho, Good work

-Heath

hey thanks man, i was kinda thinkin the kick might me too upfront during the little bridge parts, and the acoustic seems buried to me during the bridge and chorus parts but when i bring the level up it seems unbalanced. being that im a metal guy this isnt anything i'd normally do, but i was messing around with a pretty chord i had accidentally found toying around with the capo, and we started writing.

Crashes are too whispy. Guitars are waaay over effected and as such, very thin. Is that tremelo or chorus on steroids? I'm all for effects, but I still think things need to be rooted somewhere.

The lead wasn't very interesting and the choice to have it muffed/smoothed-out was not the right one. That's exactly where the song needed something extra and you dumbed that extra down.

There's something that sounds like a casio keyboard from 1985 playing. Ditch that :p.

hey thanks for the opinions and all man. that was really a lot more helpful than the last response. i'll try doing something with the lead.

Man this is trippy!!..

Lavalamp and a bong written all over it!! :D

I'd cut back on the effects too. A good bassline would do wonders driving that thing ahead...

yeah the bass guitar is actually the thing you hear in the back with an envolope filter. i might see if my cousin would do another bass track, the higher-pitched 3x oscillerator i do agree needs to come down a bit (the 80's casio keyboard sounding thing,) but when i took it completely out the overall mix seemed to be lacking something.

This just my opinion.

But having FX and trippy sounds as much as you do, I'd keep the bass relatively free of them and drive a straight, thumping and driving bassline in there. If you can get your cousin in it.But that's just me.

Back