New 1x12 cab with greenback speaker... worried about using it with high powered amps?

photoresistor

i just got a 1x12 custom audio amplifiers cabinet... it has a greenback in it right now. eventually id like to pick up a vintage 30 to swap back and forth depending on the project, but for now its all i have.

my friend has a jcm900 100watt amp... with the low power switch on its 50 watts. but of course the greenback is rated at 25 watts.

im kinda worried about using the 900 with my cab... should i keep the master volume under 12:00? or just back it off if it starts to distort? or am i worried over nothing? im not a guitar player... thoughts?

thanks!

listen to the speaker. if it sounds like it's being pushed too hard, it is. you would probably be best to keep the volume down. a spike could blow that sucka.

Listen to what travis said. It will begin to "cry" when you push it even flutter a bit with bass notes. Be mindful but don't stress about it.

What were you driving it with before?

Have you considered a second 1x12 cabinet to parallel them? Maybe a divided 2x12 cab with 2 mono jacks and a stereo jack...that would be trick.

photoresistor said:
should i keep the master volume under 12:00?

The volume ceases to get louder after about 11 o'clock if I remember correct when I had a 900. The power tubes just compress more.

That is too much power for a 25 watt speaker. Mashall sells the 1960AX cab (4 greenbacks, rated at 100 watts total) and has a warning to not use a 100 watt Marshall head unless you use two of those 412 cabs.

You are playing with fire using a 25 watt speaker and a 50 watt tube head. That amp goes from no sound to loud in about 1/10 of an inch, then just get louder and louder and louder....until about 11 o'clock. I wouldn't put the master past 9.5 o'clock tops. Thats just a ruff guestimate.

...I play through a 320 watt cab with a 120 watt head and usually don't dare push it past two on the channel volume (master's always dimed) if I'm playing for extended periods of time. You'll probably be fine using it, as long as you creep the volume up extremely slowly and, like others have said, listen to hear if the speaker's being pushed too hard.

thanks for the input guys! im definately going to be cautious with how much power i give it with the 900... i played through it a little bit today and kept it at around 10:00 at the loudest. i didnt hear any sort of "crying" or anything so i think those levels might be fine for it.

someone asked what i was driving this before... i just got the 1x12 and have no amp of my own (im not a guitar player). the reason i bought this was to be able to record electric guitar in my house at lower volumes (not shake the whole frikkin house like all the 4x12s like to do). we'll see if i still can get good sounds from 1/4 of the speakers!

does anyone have experience between greenbacks and vintage 30s? care to describe any tonal differences? i mostly record hard rock / post hardcore / "metalcore" stuff... any suggestions on what type of speaker i might want to look into in the future for my 1x12 cab? (probably spend about $100)

thanks again for all the replies!

Back