Neumann TLM-193 vs. AKG C414 B TLII

very different mics, and good for different things. the tlm193 is not often favored as a vocal mic due to its attentuated top end response, though it can be jsut right for some females and some male screamer types. OTOH, the rolled-off top end is the very characteristic that makes the 193 a perfect choice for certain acoustic instrument applications, such as woodwinds, strings, horns, and others that have tons of high freq content. the 414 is a much brighter mic, and also is pretty good at some instrument applications like acoustic guitar. i wouldnt say a lot of people like the 414 as a vocal mic either however. a pair of 414s can be good as OHs, and some people use them as main stereo pairs for live venue work for classical, though they arent my choice for that work. so, it really depends on your application. if you are mainly after a good all round vocal mic, i'd probably look at some other mics, such as the rode NTK or neumann tlm103.

I'd suggest looking into a Soundeluxe U-195 also. A very impressive and versitile large diaphragm condensor in about the same price range as the TLM193 and 414.

I personally wouldn't say that the TLM193 has an 'attentuated top end response' but more that it's just not hyped in the high end like so many recent mics ( like the TLM103, various Rode models, etc ) I've liked at least my voice through a TLM193 through a MSS-10 pre and I've been using a pair of TLM193's through a John Hardy M-1 preamp for drum overheads and it has been working out well. I think the TLM193 is somewhat nuetral and while it sounds great it's not going to make anything sound significanly better than it already does.

Another couple mics to look at in the just under $1000 range might be the BLUE Blueberry and the Audio Technica 4060.

Best of luck!

John L Rice
Drummer@ImJohn.com

Back