Neumann TLM-103 or AKG Solid Tube?

since it was also for the rec.audio.pro compilation set, I decided in advance to see if I could successfully use the TLM103 for everything. Fortunately, it worked.

For some other songs on that album, on the same guitar, I had to actually switch to another mic when he changed keys or picking style. The TLM103 wasn't the best choice for those songs.

Other mics that would've probably worked for his voice would have been most of the Marshall or Studio Project large diaphragm mics, but they hadn't come out yet. A Shure SM-7 or possibly one of my ribbon mics would have also worked, with some adjusting of the mic position.

All I used was the $175 RNC for light compression, a $99 Lexicon Alex on patch 10 (vocal plate), and the $150 Boss SE-50 on patch 22 (multi-shout).

Thanks Harvey, for the response... Are you analog or digital at your place? Specifically, are you referring to the V-67 as far as Marshall goes? And regarding Studio Projects, the C-1, or C-3... or the T-3? I realize these are application-specific recommendations, but I'm using the 'Range' vocalist as a reference... Any further experience or testing on the T-3, Harvey? Your replies are greatly appreciated...:cool:

A little of both. Every signal goes thru the analog board on it's way to the DA-38 digital multi-track recorders. The signal comes back analog for further processing during mixdown on its way to a Tascam DA-30 II for the two track mix.

I wasn't reffering to any particular mic in either line. I could have gotten about the same results with the Marshall V67, the 2003, the 1006, or the V77, or any of the Studio Projects mics. It might have taken a little time to play around with placement and some eq, but the results would have been very similar to what you heard.

I'm far less fussy about a particular mic for a song than all my posts may lead you to believe. Once you've heard the really incredible mics (like a Stephen Paul U67 with a 0.7 micron diaphragm), every other mic is a compromise you just learn to live with.

Of the mics I have here, I would have reached for a V77, TB-1, or T-3
first, then tried the others I listed, if those 3 mics didn't sound right.

I think my poor old Solid Tube's feelings are hurt, Littledog. He never claimed to sound like a C12. I guess I'm in the middle on this one, 'cause while I don't think Solid Tube is one of the vocal all-stars, I do think it is a very good vocal mic. I'm under the impression you auditioned one with a bad tube or something, because it is one of the go-to mics for vocals in this midrange studio.-Richie

Geez, Jeap, just because his power supply doesn't have a tube in it, your knickers are binding. Now he's sulking, and won't come out of his airline case. See what you've done.-Richie P.S.- My DBX 386 isn't sure he likes you either. Think I'll turn up my drive...

CyanJaguar said:

yes. do what littledog said

All I'm trying to do is point out how subjective reviews can be, and that it's daft to buy gear based solely on what people say about it.

I remember that, not too long ago, people on this board were swearing blind that a recording made on ECM8000s must have been made with a pair of TLM 103s....

"Suck it and see" is all I'm saying.

Richard Monroe said:
I think my poor old Solid Tube's feelings are hurt, Littledog. He never claimed to sound like a C12. I guess I'm in the middle on this one, 'cause while I don't think Solid Tube is one of the vocal all-stars, I do think it is a very good vocal mic. I'm under the impression you auditioned one with a bad tube or something, because it is one of the go-to mics for vocals in this midrange studio.-Richie

Or maybe you just got lucky and got a really good one...

If it works for you, go for it. I've heard too many other people who have had similar unimpressive experiences to be able to recommend it personally.

I know it wasn't you making extravagent claims, but lately I just am getting a little tired of people dropping the: "I read a review in an actual printed publication where the reviewer said he and 47 of his closest friends at the Tinnitus Institute of Evaluation could not tell the difference between an Alesis 3630 and a Fairchild, etc." (Yeah, right... like since when could you ever heat your whole house with a 3630?) :eek: :eek: :eek:

Richard Monroe said:

richard, I know a guy who owns the c12 and a solidtube. Guess what, on some voices, the solidtube is actually preferrable to the c12. WOW

Try removing the internal windscreen to enhance top end production. You can also change the tube for what some call an improved sound.

littledog said:
I've heard too many other people who have had similar unimpressive experiences to be able to recommend it personally.

Not used one yourself, then? How can you make comparative statements regarding the usability and/or quality of both mics, unless you're basing them on hearsay and...well...reviews?

I know it wasn't you making extravagent claims, but lately I just am getting a little tired of people dropping the: "I read a review in an actual printed publication where the reviewer said he and 47 of his closest friends at the Tinnitus Institute of Evaluation could not tell the difference between an Alesis 3630 and a Fairchild, etc." (Yeah, right... like since when could you ever heat your whole house with a 3630?) :eek: :eek: :eek: [/B]

No-one was making any extravagant claims. Caretaker 9 asked for opinions. I gave him some, based on my actual experiences, and mentioned and simply mentioned some reviews I'd seen (one by Paul White whose views I very much respect), as he was after opinions on both of the options he'd mentioned. I'm sure the TLM 103 is a superb mic, but I can't comment on it as I've never used one. I've used U87s before, and they've been superb, but way out of my price league, unfortunately.

Obviously, though, I've said the wrong thing and upset some people, so maybe I shouldn't try and answer people's questions in the (apparently mistaken) hope that my experiences will be valid in some way.

Phildo said:

Not used one yourself, then? How can you make comparative statements regarding the usability and/or quality of both mics, unless you're basing them on hearsay and...well...reviews?

If you reread my statement, I said: "I've heard too many people who have had SIMILAR unimpressive experiences..."

Perhaps that was unintentionally ambiguous. The intent and implication was "too many people with similar unimpressive experiences (INSERT: THAT PARALLELLED MY OWN) to recommend it personally." Being a nimrod, I sometimes fantasize that my inarticulate meanderings are both cogent and clear, to say nothing of valuable. Thanks for the reality check! :D MAYBE i might have read a review of the mic that subconsciously colored my opinions, but i honestly don't remember reading anything that was particularly negative, and unlike some others, I am not usually the type to be overly influenced by reviews. The inclusion of the "other people's experiences" remark was only in direct response to the admitted possibility of "maybe I just got a bad one."

No-one was making any extravagant claims. Caretaker 9 asked for opinions. I gave him some, based on my actual experiences, ... and simply mentioned some reviews I'd seen (one by Paul White whose views I very much respect), as he was after opinions on both of the options he'd mentioned. I'm sure the TLM 103 is a superb mic, but I can't comment on it as I've never used one. I've used U87s before, and they've been superb, but way out of my price league, unfortunately.

Obviously, though, I've said the wrong thing and upset some people, so maybe I shouldn't try and answer people's questions in the (apparently mistaken) hope that my experiences will be valid in some way.

Sorry if you feel I over-reacted, which would certainly not be the first time. It's just that in the last week or two, there's been a whole bunch of people "quoting" (usually unattributed, of course) the most fantastic claims, along the lines of: "In key tests, the Yugo was virtually indistinguishable from the Lexus." Sorry if after a while it gets annoying. Nothing personal, Phildo. I was just honestly recommending a little healthy skepticism towards anyone who would publish such a statement, and perhaps NOT give approval to them dating your sister! :p

Anyway, my advice is the same as always: Try the mics. Buy the one you like. Any other method is severely flawed by comparison. How's that for unambiguous and dispassionate? :)

littledog said:
Anyway, my advice is the same as always: Try the mics. Buy the one you like. Any other method is severely flawed by comparison. How's that for unambiguous and dispassionate? :)

No argument form this quarter! ;)

Sorry if I was a little defensive and snotty - I'm used to having to argue my point, and kinda forgot that this is one of the few places I've found on "teh interweb" where you don't generally have to do that!

I'll try and keep my paranoia in check in future :)

Back