Neumann KM184 vs Earthworks SR77's

Guardian

As far as live stereo recording with a matched pair of Mics..has anyone used both the Neumann KM184 and the Earthworks SR77 <or 78?>, and can give a comparison of the 2, for this purpose?

If not for this particular use, has anyone experience with both in general, and can provide a comparison between them?

From the specs <which we all know mean nothing compared to how things actually ''sound''>, the Neumann's have a lower freq. response <20hz>, but are not quite as flat..the Earthworks are amazingly flat, it seems, but only dip down to 30hz, but then again respond upto 30hz, compared to the Neumann's 20hz...not that there's much sound up there anyhow...

..then again going just on specs, Shure's SM81's might be a nice poor man's stereo pair for this kind of recording? Anyone tried them in that scenario? If I get rich at some point, I'm sure I'll own each of these mics..but right now, any suggestions on what would be the best for the recordist's toolbox for stereo field recording..based on specs, I'd go Earthworks, but the Neumann name is hard to not give attention to..

Anyone?

I can't comment on the Neuman (never heard it), and I really can't even comment on the SR77.
But I do have a pair of SR71s and a pair of QTC1s. They both sound surprisingly similar, so I suspect that very similar technology goes into the entire earthworks line.

Both are just excruciatingly accurate. There is just no comparison to something like an SM81 (which i HAVE auditioned). The E-wks are on a completely different plane of sonic realism than most mikes typically discussed.
The QTC1s include room ambiance, because they are omni. It sounds just like sitting in the room during the recording. The SR71s reject more ambient noise, so it is more "focused". I liken the difference to looking at the subject (always steel-string acoustic guitar in my case) through a microscope....still accurate, but highly focused and magnified in the perceptual field.
When my room is quiet, I like the Qs better. But when environmental noise creeps in, the SRs allow me to ignore it sufficiently well at a very small price in realism. Sometimes I just like the sound better for no good reason ! :)

There are lots of nice mikes out there, but I suspect you will be impressed if you choose the E-wks. The only problem with them is that they don't have much of a "sound". They just sound like the source sounds. That can be a shock for some people :)

Peace,
rick

hmm

Earthworks is probably the ticket then..I'd like to get some more feedback on the Neumann's tho..

Personally, I'm all about recording as-is, and then modifying later..it's easier to add coloration than take it away, in most cases, it seems. ..and for stereo mic'ing of ensembles, you want to hear what is there, not altered sound..so the Earthworks would probably make a perfect set of mic's for what I'm looking for right now..although I'm sure having a set of those Neumann's would be nice, when there's extra money to burn. Some people unfortunately shop studios based on buzz words, and Neumann is one of them..

Personally, I'm all about recording as-is, and then modifying later..it's easier to add coloration than take it away, in most cases, it seems.

That is my feeling also. I was lucky enough to get a really great-sounding custom made guitar. So when I first started trying to record it, I just bought some "expensive" microphones based on the common recommendations and, like a naive moron, tried to record with them. They sounded "good", but didn't sound LIKE THE GUITAR !!!
That set me on the quest for mikes that didn't stop until I had gotten the QTC1s. I actually got the SR71s later just to try to reduce background noise, and it works, so I am happy.
I am not above adding some reverb, bass boost, and "de-essing" on final mixdown, but I at least want to start with a reasonably close attempt at "capture".

FYI: The SR71s are on closeout right now at the factory store web page. There are also specials on refurbs & cosmetic blems. My QTC1s were actually a cosmetic blem, but I have never been able to find the "blem" :)

Also, it seems to me that microphone geeks place more emphasis on the Neuman brand name than is actually warrented by other musicians. I never even heard of them until I started frequenting the *recording* forums. Most musicians just think mike capture sound, so lets buy some "good 'uns....up to $150 !!!" :)

Peace,
Rick

Back