negative pop filter effects

noground

In the many posts about pop filters there's something that hasn't been addressed...

How much does a pop filter affect the sound of a vocal track? there's some that are made at home out of nylon, those in stores made of nylon, and I've seen one made of wire mesh stuff that's supposed to "attenuate the high frequencies less" than the nylon ones.

Should I be worried about which one I get or is the loss of sound quality negligible for all of them? What would make one pop filter 'better' than another?

(In fact I think I was getting the drift that a thread comparing pop filters would be almost a humorous idea :) )

Yo' Bruce...................

.................just wanted to say "Wasssupp" dude!!!!
Ain't hear from ya' in a while!! Comin' to NYC in July!!??

As far as materials go, I have only used and seen used those with nylon.

As far as effecting frequency response, I think it really depends on who is singing and the micing technique used.

On most male voices, I hear no difference in using a pop screen in the "air" in the sound, frequencies around 13KHz and above....

On a few female vocalists I have used pop filters on, I have indeed heard a bit of a difference in the "air". There have been times where I used one just to sort of tame it a bit, where the plosives were not an issue.

So, maybe not all will agree that they make a difference in the sound, I think they do in some cases. I try to avoid using pop filters if I can. I find more times than not that I don't need them with better singers with the way I mic a vocal in the studio (the mic anywhere from 6" to 18" with the mic around 4" above a directly verticle line from the mouth and aiming down a bit).

Ed

Back