Needing a rack.... maybe building my own?

spankenstein

I've been looking around but haven't found exactly what I'm looking for.

Basically I want an SKB Gig-Rig but it isn't deep enough. My computer case is 21" deep. The SKB only holds 17"'

Gator has one that is deep enough (22") but it's only 8U and has no casters. The caster add-on is a platform with straps that doesn't really appeal to me.

So at work for a client we had a case custom made by Calzone (Anvil) to hold some computer equipment and looking at that made me thing that it wouldn't be hard to build one after tracking down all the supplies (edging, handles, corners, covering, casters). Anyone built their own road case like that?

Obviously price is a concern but functionality is more important.
  • 10U mixer section on top
  • At least 8 preferably 10 or 12 U on bottom
  • Able to hole 22"+ equipment
  • On casters

Is there anyone I'm overlooking that makes good cases? Would it be feasible to build my own? If building my own good places for supplies?

A case or just a rack? The MX-3 at Musicians friend ($69 when its on sale) is just killer for the price, 10 top and like 10 bottom, rolls, locking casters, sturdy, strong.... good buy, I have two of them now, got one used for $45 shipped.
I'll post pictures of my setup pretty soon.
Paul

You can buy everything you need from www.pennfabrication.com as long as you meet the $50 minimum order. Penn is a supplier to www.partsexpress.com where you can pay more, for small quantities.

There are some 19" rack cases for computers that work well. You have to choose carefully, as most computer racks are designed for data center use, and are very deep. One of the HR members here (I think) found a good one that is much more shallow. Just the ticket for a portable DAW.

For mine, I used an Antec desktop case that is pretty much square and fits within the 19" EIA rack size. I'm planning to build a simple rack case for it, and my pair of Aardvark Q10 1U interface units. I want all the cables, etc, in a single rack and secure. Give thought to where your keyboard and display(s) are going. Two displays are ideal whe using Sonar + Aardvark.

I work with computer racks all day long. I'll check out the Penn place. I noticed that name on the Calzone case this morning.

Intention is mobile. I want a mostly self contained mobile DAW. I've got the PC and rack case and everything (upgrading mixer soon) but need something with good dimensions that's mobile and sturdy.

Thanks for the replies, already a big help and sparking ideas.

check out pearson cases, they sell stuff on ebay and off their website. Theyre based out of califonia and I got a really nice rack for dirt cheap from them. I think they make all kinds of designs. Good luck.

Back