Need Vocal Processor

hottsauce_21

I record rap and r&b, i already record with a rode k2 and voicemaster pro and like the quality. But i wanna processor to help my vocals out more, i was lookin at voiceworks, voicelive and Antares vocal producer and was wonderin if any of these would Step my vocals up a notch. Any help please...

Go DBX 160X, it can't go wrong for in your face hip hop vocals but it's not so well on soulful R&B imo. If you have the $$ upgrade your pre also. The AVP isn't going to be an upgrade and I personally wouldn't use it on hip-hop vocals either.

You'll have to find the 160X used because they're no longer in production. Every now and then you can find them here in the for sale forum, over at Gearslutz or Tapeop. Used you can expect to pay 200-250, I haven't heard or ever used the 160a or 160xt but they should be suitable I think they're newer models of the 160X but I could be wrong. What's your budget for a pre? There's tons to reccomend.

i say a $1000, I was reading on what another guy was sayin about the preamp i use, About how its a great pre, but doesn't seem to catch and express everything u put into the vocals. I know i have a GREAT mic, so if i can find somethin to really bring out my vocals, ill be set.

Alot were sayin u dont need alot for rap vocals and such. just a great mic and great pre, but if there wrong, please let me know what else would help.

Everyone has different taste, what someone thinks is great another person may think sucks. Nothing replaces being able to listen to it for yourself.

Edit: You shouldn't be getting a "bad" sound from the voicemaster, the K2 is a pretty good mic (depending who you ask...lol). It's true all you need is a good pre, good mic and a good sounding source along with a good monitoring system and good room and you should be making good mixes...LOL

honestly, the only thing i dont have is the "room" i was lookin into vocal booths, but wow there expensive! i was lookin into uildin one myself, not the best, but good enough to record in.

Get a 44 gallon drum, carve out a panel about 2 feet by 2 feet, and line it with auralex foam. Mount it on a stand, put your mic in the center of the panel, against the foam. There's your new vocal booth.

The K2 and Voicemaster are *great* for what you're doing.

I'd look at a Lexicon delay/reverb/effects unit - these have compressors and pitch shifters etc built in.

I use a Trakmaster and a NTK with an old Lexicon MPX500 - I take the digital I/O throughout the entire chain - flexible enough for most needs.

The DBX 160x, xt and a are essentially the same unit although with different connectors or construction. The "a" is the current model and uses surface mount technology in its construction. The a and the xt have xlr and 1/4" connectors, while the "x" has a barrier strip and 1/4" connectors. While there have been various threads debating whether there really is any audible difference between these three units, I suspect that any difference is pretty small. I have an xt and like it alot for some applications.

Are you serious about that booth from a drum? well that make a different? cuz if so, im gonna try that asap. i was thinkin about a nice effects processor to go wit my setup. thanks you helped alot. As for the DBX 160A, its a compressor right? should i get it along wit the effects processor? or just aim one way?

lumbago said:
Get a 44 gallon drum, carve out a panel about 2 feet by 2 feet, and line it with auralex foam. Mount it on a stand, put your mic in the center of the panel, against the foam. There's your new vocal booth.

Would you happen to have any pix? ;)

It's more than a shell and some auralex. I rather doubt that you could make it yourself for less money. Here's an extensive thread on Gearslutz, complete with multiple pictures of set-up, clips, and initial skeptical responses. Read the whole thread. Warren Dent (who owns Front End Audio and is a pretty straight-up guy for a gear pimp) and who posts here from time to time has had some good things to say about this unit. I'm strongly considering getting one myself since my room sucks and this should help.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthread.php?t=65837&highlight=Reflexion+Filter

Ok, im actually thinkin about buyin this thing. but answer this, would it be better to go down to Home Depot and build a booth out of plaid wood, and pad the inside? i know a friend of mine has a booth layered wit carpet then covered wit egg cartons. it looks pretty nice honestly. but is that properly treated for VOCALS???

just wondering...

if the purpose of the reflextion is to remove room reflections, would
you end up with a 2 dimensional sonic signature if you stacked a bunch
of tracks of instruments recorded with this ? Seems like it would cancel out using omni or figure 8's. How would this compare to just using a SM7
or RE20 in terms of eliminating the room as a factor?

I suspect a lot of folks are
using virtual instruments and just using this for vocals and maybe an
occasional instrument.

I'm building out a tiny tracking room this week, so this is caught me eye.

Back