need to know about drum machines

POLease

I need some kind of drum creating, editing and recording tool. I am thinking about buying an AKAI mpc2000, but I also would like to know what other machines are out there. NON-PC,

There are dozens of drum machines out there;
I just played with a ZOOM and it was really nice. Boss units are cool, and just about any newer one Alesis, Yamaha, Roland will sound great!

If you are really cheap check out the ads in the newspaper under musical instruments. You can often find an old one under $100 bucks.

Sincerely;

Dom Franco

Yo PoLEASE you will be PLEASED with most of the 400 presets in the New Boss 770.

Price: shopping around via the 800 numbers, I got the box for 361.00 plus shipping.

It has some fabulous latin chops on it. I've had three drum machines and once you learn to move around on any drum machine, the rest are very similar. If you can listen to the Boss 770, you'll buy it. Plus it has 400 storage spaces to store your own drum creations/meters, etc.

Enjoy the beat,

Green Hornet

I agree with Green Hornet. I bought a Boss DR770 a few months ago and love it. I actually got it even cheaper - $345 - so make sure you t ask your saleperson if he/she can be flexible with the price.

I looked at some cheaper units, which I thought sounded OK for the price, but I'm glad I spent the extra money on this one. It has a lot more memory than any "lower-end" machine, the sounds are great, even some of the preset patterns are usable, you can edit the hell out of individual instruments if you want, and editing patterns and songs is pretty intuitive. It also has MIDI in and out, but I don't have the gear to futz with that yet.

Before you spend your money, depending on the type of recording you are doing, you may want to look around your and see if you have any keyboard (synths i.e. Roland D20, D50, even Yamaha PSR's) lying around. The Roland's sounds, in particular, are realistic and if you are not happy with it, you could tailor them. There are tradeoffs, of course but, you get ample memory and the flexibility of having all those drum sounds available in all 66 keys without pressing little buttons to change pads.

Back