Need tips for home studio gear for $5,000

rotren

I need some suggestions for a home recording system for a singer/songwriter. Both hardware and software.

Here's the scenario. I have been asked to give recommendations to a friend regarding what recording gear to buy. The person is someone who is not experienced with doing recording on his own, but is a good musician with many years of playing professionally. This person has $5,000 to spend on recording gear.

He is a songwriter, and plays acoustic guitar well, but he plays honk tonk piano and boogie woogie piano like a true genius. He can play other styles on piano too of course.

He will be recording vocals (mostly one at a time), acoustic and electric guitars. I am guessing he might need up to 4 inputs at once (2 vocals, 2 guitars).

For drums, I'm thinking Ez Drummer, Addictive Drums or similar. I will play bass for him, just plugging straight in via a preamp, or with a Line 6 Toneport.

Regarding hardware, a MacBook Pro with all the RAM it can fit, is the idea. He will need an audio interface with about 4 inputs, a good condenser mic for vocals, SM57 or similar for recording guitar, and mic preamps. Perhaps a dual mic preamp for when he wants to record both vocals and guitar a the same time?

Some decent studio monitors is of course also needed.

For DAW, I think Logic Studio should have all the bases covered? I will be helping him, and I know Logic Express fairly well already. He's talking about Pro Tools, but I don't have experience with it. Does it have some distinct advantages over Logic in the scenario described?

The recording room is being built this summer, so I don't know what it will look like.

What recommendations would have for me? Thanks a lot.

The $5,000 will not include building the recording room itself. That's being taken care of separately.

For DAW, I think Logic Studio should have all the bases covered? I will be helping him, and I know Logic Express fairly well already. He's talking about Pro Tools, but I don't have experience with it. Does it have some distinct advantages over Logic in the scenario described?
If he is mostly going to be dealing with audio only, and little (if any) MIDI stuff then Pro Tools might be a more faster/streamlined environment UI for him. However, he'll be locked in as far as audio interface choices are concerned to either M-Audio or Digidesign stuff, which IMO are not the best interfaces out there, nor are the best value.

If he's looking to spend around $5000, it might be better to get Logic with one of the RME or even Mackie ONYX interfaces.

Just let him concider the options.

I always cringe when I see someone's gear recommendations for starting out and it includes a Mac and expensive recording software. Not only a Mac but a laptop. Unless there is some need for portability a laptop is totally unnecessary. I'm not a Mac hater but when you're trying to stretch your budget a Mac is just wasteful. Then shelling out hundreds of dollars for recording software. Go with reaper which is more than capable and only costs $60. Use the $300 you save to buy a pre or something useful. Ditch the macbook for a desktop PC and use the money you save to buy the audio interface and a preamp.:cool:

Hmm, well Logic isn't that expensive and Mac is the platform of choice for this guy.

Isn't logic pro like $500?

I'm not even sure how much a macbook costs. 1k ish? My point is that's an awful large percentage of your total budget being spent on something that is going to have absolutely no impact on the quality of recording whatsoever.

I agree with what most people say on reguard for using a mac, especially a laptop, I started recording on a laptop, I soon realised that I needed a bigger screen to work on. so if he is focused on a mac I would suggest getting an imac instead. Like others said Macs are very expencive and will eat alot the budget. from experience, its not worth skimping on the equipment especally mics, and pre amps. I wouldn't go for protools just cause of the interfaces you can use they them selves put a massive hole in your pocket and especally if he wants 4 inputs. I use a line 6 tone port UX2 for the price I cant fault it. Using the pre amps in pod farm, I gat get a really good result, saying that nothing beats the real deal. as far as a DAW is concerned dont concentrate on those 2, try to get demos of every DAW you ca think off and get him to use them. He will soon fall in love with the one that suits him best, and considering thats what you spend the majority of time using its well worth trying all the demos. I dont know if there is any way for you to do this but cheack out Red 5 audio, many people say that what you pay you get 3-4 times the value of mic just because they sell them inpependantly, but im not sure if you can get hold of them out side the uk.

iMac would be a good solution, I agree. That's what I am recommending to him.

The Apogee Duet seems like a good choice for a 2 input interface. They are supposed to have quite good mic pres built in?

I looked at Motu 8pre too - looks impressive - FireWire interface that has 8 eight microphone/instrument preamps. It costs around $550 new.

http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/8pre

Like others said Macs are very expencive and will eat alot the budget.
Just because you can get a $500 PC doesn't mean Macs are very expensive. Especially when considering build quality and the specs.

The PC I built myself cost $2,500. I could've easily made it cost half the price, but the quality of the components was as important to me as their spec sheets.

iMac would be a good solution, I agree. That's what I am recommending to him.

The Apogee Duet seems like a good choice for a 2 input interface. They are supposed to have quite good mic pres built in?

I looked at Motu 8pre too - looks impressive - FireWire interface that has 8 eight microphone/instrument preamps. It costs around $550 new.

http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/8pre
A Macbook with a Duet would be pretty awesome, no question.

Yes, but it also comes with some killer instruments and FX, so the price is more than justified. The synths and the included sampler alone are worth it.

Yeah I'm not debating the value. I have no problem with logic, great program. I'm just not sure how much use a guy doing vocals, acoustic guitar and honkey tonk piano is gonna get out of the synths and sampler. $500 for logic or $60 for reaper which will do everything he needs and then some. No brainer as far as I'm concerned.

Just because you can get a $500 PC doesn't mean Macs are very expensive. Especially when considering build quality and the specs.

The PC I built myself cost $2,500. I could've easily made it cost half the price, but the quality of the components was as important to me as their spec sheets.

A $500 PC would be more than adequate for this guy's needs. Again I won't argue the value. Macs are what they are. I don't think they are a ripoff, I just feel the expense is unnecessary in this case. Could use that extra money for a kick ass pre or mic.:cool:

Yeah I'm not debating the value. I have no problem with logic, great program. I'm just not sure how much use a guy doing vocals, acoustic guitar and honkey tonk piano is gonna get out of the synths and sampler. $500 for logic or $60 for reaper which will do everything he needs and then some. No brainer as far as I'm concerned.

A $500 PC would be more than adequate for this guy's needs. Again I won't argue the value. Macs are what they are. I don't think they are a ripoff, I just feel the expense is unnecessary in this case. Could use that extra money for a kick ass pre or mic.:cool:

I agree. I love Macs and they are very nice machines but you really don't need one. I'm on a budget and record with a PC just fine. If I had the money, I would get a nice Mac Pro, but I don't and I am just fine with my PC.

Back