Need suggestions

C-SLIKK

Whenever I'm sitting around writing a song, I'm usually able to relax my mind and get into a zone where everything just flows out, and I'm able to write some pretty good lyrics (in my opinion).

Whenever I find an instrumental I like and try to write to it, it's different. I'm unable to write nearly as well as I do if I write to no music. Sometimes I'm not able to write at all. If I turn on an instrumental, sit down and try writing, I get the worst writers block. I think about the way it should sound and try to write to the way I think it should sound when I'd be recording later. But if I was to turn the music off and sit down, relax and write to nothing, I'd be able to write just fine.

Any suggestions on how to write to music better?

I am new to this forum but have learned so much reading all the fine posts from experienced members..here is one that should help.....
"Whenever I'm sitting around writing a song, I'm usually able to relax my mind and get into a zone where everything just flows out, and I'm able to write some pretty good lyrics (in my opinion)."
honestly I think this is the best advice...

A good melody should add value to the sense of the spoken line and/or the words you wish to emphasises.

The simple but oft used "I love you" over 4/4 time bar. Lets say your melody is monotone and equal valued notes (3 crotchets + a spare beat)

(pause) I love you
I (pause) love you
I love (pause) you
I love you (pause)

Even in monotone the pause adds slightly different intention to the phrase - is it about me (I) you or love? You can further increase this effect by raising the note (or lowering the other 2) of the word you wish to have emphasis. You could also remove the pause (rest) and holding the note twice as long (minim) or half the other notes. You have to come back to the sense of what you are saying so the melody can serve it.

This may seem pretty basic stuff, but if you are use to organically writing lyric/melody simultaneously you might not recognize that this is what you are doing. Most importantly when you start to write additional lines and verses to the same melody why they sometimes don’t feel right. Even the most organic writer should consider the melody after they have finished to assure that it is fully serving sense, or if they need to create variety (or commonality) of style/genre to their work.

When you listen to instrumentation and find you are getting blocked – it could be do with the phrases you are throwing at the accompaniment. Rather than full making sense lines try starting with a ‘Word cloud’.

Lets say you want to compare you feelings of an end to a relationship with starting a journey. So in your word cloud you might have ‘open road; empty road; ticket; got my ticket; ride the rails; said goodbye; nervous; excited’ Once you’ve got them down (possible want more visual ones) just start throwing the words or phrases in where you feel they best fall with the music – don’t commit to making sense yet. Once you feel them settle in place – try to add in personal pronouns and other words to make sense – again only do this line by line don’t try to join them up.

Give it a couple of days and see which lines sit best and inspire most then build your Ch hooks from that and your Vs in response to the ideas in the Ch.

A big block might be that you are sitting down and expecting to do it all in one session as well – allow time for things to distill and then craft them.

HTH
Burt

Is your concern writing lyrics for a melody or writing melody & lyrics for a backing/chord structure?
I'm confused because instrumentals usually have a melody carried by a lead instrument of some sort.

Back