Need suggestions on placing Delta 66 soundcard into a Compaq computer.

bornmad

I own a Compaq computer, and as you may know their soundacrds come integrated into the mother board.

I'm looking at a Delta 66 soundcard for recording, and I wanted to know if anyone knows if I will have a problem placing a new soundcard in with my integrated system.

Is it possible to just turn off the integrated soundcard in my bios?

It should be possible to disable it in the BIOS. I have heard that some of these integrated devices also have the modem functionality integrated within them, so that might be a problem -- you might not be able to disable the audio device without also disabling your modem.

Another possibility -- you might wish to keep the integrated audio if it provides you with a MIDI synth and MIDI interface, whcih the Delta cards do not have. You can probably get both sound devices to coexist, though it might take a fair bit of fiddling.

Yo

Just call me Mr. Compaq. No..but really, I service about 3000 Compaq machines at work and have 3 at home. I have a Delta 44 installed on a Deskpro EN733. All I did was disable the on board soundcard within Windows and it works just fine. I didnt even do it in the bios. If you get into any specific problems you can just ask away.

H2H

For what it's worth, I own a Dell and installed a Delta 1010 in it. I left the factory soundcard just as it came, and simply instructed my recording software (Cakewalk) to use the Delta. Haven't had any problems.

The Windows programs (e.g. Media Player) still use the factory card. I suspect I could change that by changing the "preferred playback device" in Control Panel, but in my case I don't particularly care, as I am primarily concerned about using the Delta for recording.

Back