Need some thoughts before we go ahead with this one.

Slowjett

I posted this last night, but it disappeared? Anyway heres the song. Let me know what you think. The percussion was played on the guitar as the sang was played. I used the low end sound to trigger a kick sample and put it back in the mix.

Let me know what sounds good/bad. Vocals/guitar ect.. All input appreciated!

This is a good song. I like it. There's only one thing I would change. The hand percussion on the guitar box is cool, it's just*too loud. It should be background percussion, but it's hard not to focus on that instead of the vocals. Just use some volume automation to bring it down in a few places and I think you have a winner.

GZ

Are you taking about the higher pitched percussion right? Not the low end. The kick sound might be abit loud, I can reduce that, but the other sound I dont know if I can, its in the guitar signal. It was all played at the same time and recorded with one mic. Maybe I can send it to group channel and then isolate the thwack via gate/eq and then flip the phase, mix it back in with the original signal enough to kill it a little... ... actually just tried that, didnt work.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
interesting sound you got! the vocals have a good sound. its real live sounding, i like it :) dont turn that percussion down, its what makes the song!

Nice grooving tune, Slowjett ;)
Very tightly played. I agree about trying to bring the hand percussion a bit down, sounds really good though. Only if you recorded it while playing the rythm it could be a problem. Very nice singing.

Joe :):):):)

Thanks guys. Im doing a few re-mixings. I'll post one up in a bit.

Yeah the percussion is being played on the guitar as the guitar is being played, I know some people do the looper thing where they play a beat on the guitar body and then start playing guitar, but the beat here is being played on the body while the guitar is played.

Ok so what I ended up doing is duplicating the guitar track, slicing all of the thwacks so they were by themselves. Then I reversed phase and let it back into the mix enough to dampen the twacking in the mix. I also panned the guitar right 2 O'clock and added a touch of buss compression. Both mixes were hit with sonnox limiter for the sake of a little loudness for the mp3, hardly any GR.

I think it sounds a bit better. Does it feel lopsided to anyone?

-josh

I like it, the first time I didn't hear the percussion (because my speakers were low, everyone was sleeping :p) on the 1st and 3rd beat so I thought it sounded weird. I listened again a little louder and the problem was gone.

Nice work!

-jD

Back