Need some suggestions.

marquardt

I have a number of MP3's of my band that we've recorded in our project studio available online at www.purevolume.com/fredsfear

They can be downloaded instead of streamed, as well.

My problem is, everything was recorded directly in to the aardvark q10, and as such they all have a distinctly not-analog sound (imagine that). I'm looking in to methods for warming up my recordings and giving them a bit more of a warmer/creamier analog sound, and first few things that come to mind is a tube pre-amp and a compressor. I'm wondering if I'm on the right track, and if anyone has any suggestions on the mixes in general, or any advice I might find helpful. Thanka thanka.

Had a listen to the first two - So Long Farewell and Ryans Song.

Will you hate me if I say the Saw Doctors came to mind? :) I liked that ironic tone and the general feel of the lyrics. There's a lot of buzz and crackle at the start of So Long, but I wouldn't be surpised if you told me that's deliberate. Have you listened to these tracks on a system with full bass extension? I have a feeling the bass is out of control, but without a true full range system you won't hear it (indeed, I can't on mine, but I think I recognise the symptoms). If you haven't, I think it would be worth doing.

Sorry not to have more to say - I find this genre difficult to comment on, mostly because I'm very, very old :rolleyes: (On the other hand I did see some of the original punk bands first time round. You had to be there to appreciate how truly dreadful most of them were.)

As far as getting it more analogue sounding, I keep reading about the benefits of mixing down onto a stereo reel to reel, I'm sure I've seen Blue Bear say he always does.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips. The noise at the beginning of that track was left there because I usually tidy up all the loose ends when I'm getting ready to master, and that song isn't on a CD (yet). A habit worth breaking, probably.

Back