Need some Silence

PIANOPICTURES

Hello everybody! I'm going to make some acoustic demo recordins on SBLive! at home but I don't want to record the sound of working computer. Is it a good idea simply to get the computer box to another room and to make all cables longer? How do they solve this problem in pro stidios?

Thank you. From Russia.

HI PIANOPICTURES

well im no pro atleast not yet but that sounds like a good idea(geting the comp out of the room) to me but they also sell this box called the Sound Construction IsoMac http://www.custom-consoles.com wich is a computer tower enclosure, they cost 599$ and up! ouch!! but the real expensive ones use some microprocessor,thermostat thing that keep the box at perfect temp with your comp,but im not sure if they work for pc or not ,but i dont see why not?iv never used or seen one with my own eyes in front of me but iv read about it just figured id tell you. pics look pretty cool!
sorry i couldent be more help
EMU4XT

done that before myself...

PIANOPICTURES said:
Hello everybody! I'm going to make some acoustic demo recordins on SBLive! at home but I don't want to record the sound of working computer. Is it a good idea simply to get the computer box to another room and to make all cables longer? How do they solve this problem in pro stidios?

Thank you. From Russia.

If you're concerned with picking up the sound of your computer in your recording simply use a 25 foot mic cable and record from the other room. Give yourself plenty of time to walk from your computer to your guitar, put the sounds, or punch in time 15 seconds in to allow for that. I've done many recordings alone, and yeah, it may be a pain in the ass having to walk back and forth but give me a cheaper way and I'll do it. Yeah, buying a silencing box from custom-console.com would do a great job, but OUCH man!! That's the kind of thing I'll get in 5 years if I have the money to spare once my studio is complete. If I were only doing recordings in my room I'd make do with what I had and record from another room.

Later,
-Brian

Thanks for you write me, friends! Sorry for stupid mistakes in english. I'd like to get ONLY the box to another room but maybe I'll get much more noise from long cables? And what is better: to have long mic cable or the one between the mixer and sound card? What do you think? And how the comp monitor, mouse and keyboard will work with nearly 10(?)m wires?

Thank you.

PIANOPICTURES said:
Thanks for you write me, friends! Sorry for stupid mistakes in english. I'd like to get ONLY the box to another room but maybe I'll get much more noise from long cables? And what is better: to have long mic cable or the one between the mixer and sound card? What do you think? And how the comp monitor, mouse and keyboard will work with nearly 10(?)m wires?

Thank you.

Using a long mic cable isn't going to degrade your sound enough to even notice. The professional studios sometimes use mic calbes that are 100 feet long (33 meters). I don't know if 10 meter keyboard and mouse calbes would work.

Pianopictures - It is possible to extend your mouse, keyboard and monitor cables. I've seen it done in a studio in Brisbane. They had the computer out in a machine room and had plugs built into the console for the extensions. I'll check it out for you
cheers
John

John Sayers said:
Pianopictures - It is possible to extend your mouse, keyboard and monitor cables. I've seen it done in a studio in Brisbane. They had the computer out in a machine room and had plugs built into the console for the extensions. I'll check it out for you
cheers
John

I do know that the cables can only be so long before they don't work anymore, but I'm not sure what that length is.

John that would be awesome if you got some info on that, it sounds like a GREAT idea, something I'd like to look into.

John, what do you suggest for monitor (where you see Windows, not the sound monitors) noise? I like recording while I'm close to to the computer, but I get a hum because of the damn monitor.

Back