Need some serious help

mustaeki

Headset Line in.

My microphone for the past 6 months or so has been in and out on how it works, it's not the microphone's problem though: It's Windows 7's.

So basically some days it works perfectly, some days it doesn't.

Perfectly: Exactly how it sounds, everything is perfect

Doesn't: Doesn't work at all. No matter what I try it doesn't work. It is plugged in 100% properly, and when I try to run anything that needs detection of a microphone before it works I get an error message saying there's no mic. If I put the mic in my lips and blow on it, sound can be heard through the Stereo mix, but nothing on the Microphone bar moves.

It's ridiculous. It's almost as if it doesn't work some days after I restart my PC and then it does work some days after restart, and it pisses me off cause I don't have much time to record so I can't be restarting my PC all the time just to randomly figure out what's going on.

Any help? Thanks a lot in advance

Are you running this all through a laptop or a desktop? I have had a similar issue with my laptop, but not with the line in, but with the headphone jack. Windows 7 doesn't always seem to recognize when you take it out or put it in, so sometimes when you put in the jack in still acts as if there is not one in and vice versa. However, I have seen ALOT where the 1/8" can get lose and often times needs to be resoddered. This seems more previlent in laptops as the input is directly connected to the motherboard (its the problem with laptops and everything being integrated).

what audio interface/soundcard are you using?

if youre using the one built into the PC you need to change, theyre not designed for audio recording, used audio interfaces can be bought for dirt cheap to get you started...

what audio interface/soundcard are you using?

if youre using the one built into the PC you need to change, theyre not designed for audio recording, used audio interfaces can be bought for dirt cheap to get you started...

I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter because I've been using built in ones for years now and they work fine. It's just when I got windows 7 it's all screwy

I got it to somehow work. It is a huge problem with windows 7. If I open up Recording devices control panel it does something and screws it up. I have to open the Realtek HD Audio Manager, uncheck both noise suppression and acoustic echo cancellation. Then close that and open the Recording devices control panel. Then close the panel and re open Realtek HD audio Manager. Then recheck Noise Suppression and it works, but even then half the time the audio isn't good.

God I hate windows 7. Whatever happened to plugging something in and it working properly? I can't guarantee I won't be back here though, I probably will next time I restart.

God I hate windows 7. Whatever happened to plugging something in and it working properly? I can't guarantee I won't be back here though, I probably will next time I restart.

You got to keep in mind that Windows by far is the most universally accepted OS. Because of this, they have to integrate support for EVERY single piece of hardware. That is THOUSANDS of pieces of hardware. Because of this, every once and a while you will run into issues. The reason Macs don't have this kinda of issue (nearly as much) is because they are locked in to a limited selection of hardware. And now with them having intel support, issues are becoming slightly more prevalent. And well, unless you are a master of unix and C++, I would avoid Linux completely.

Back