Need some pointers on my room

elmerfunk

To Infinity..and Beyond!!
I am just starting to create a studio in a vacant bedroom of the house. In the earlier days before children I had it a lot easier. I had a live room at one end of the house and a control room at the other. I never had to worry about trying to hear what was coming out of the monitors over the drums being checked. Here's what I have. The room is 13.5' x 12' with a closet that is 38" x 72". I thought about making the closet a vocal booth. How well do I have to isolate this booth. I was reading another thread about isolation and I was overwhelmed by all the factors. I really won't be tracking vocals at the same time as music so how particular do I have to be? I just a nice dead booth for vocals. I'm not worried about isolating from the rest of the house as I'll work around when I record vocals. The room has carpeting and it has fake barn lumber paneling over drywall. Here's the layout of the room. Give me some ideas to start with. I'd appreciate it.

Attachments

• studio.jpg
    studio.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
TravisinFlorida said:
are you sure that you need a dead room for vocals rather than a decent sounding acoustically treated room?
I just want to have a place to do vocals where thee's no coloration from the room. I just figured what else am i going to use that closet for? Does anybody here track there drums in the same room as you control room. I am curious how to get drum sounds when they are in the same room? As I said my rooms were always 2 separate rooms now it's gonna have to be one. Do I need to sound proof the walls completely or do i need to just put some foam tiles behind the kit, behind my monitors, and maybe here and there throughout the room? i thought about closing the kit completely in like a big booth. I just need some ideas before I start doing things and do them wrong. Thanks

I hope I am not asking tired questions....

I am new to the forum and I have read about asking questions that people have ansered a gazillion times. I have serached a bit on this topic, but can't seem to find anything I am looking for. I just want some ideas on my room seeing that it will be the tracking room and the control room. The closet just seemed like a good place to do vocal work. I am not wanting to isolate it just acoustically treat it and the rest of the room. I have thought about putting the drums in a booth just so I can hear what is coming out of the mointors not the drums themselves. (Although I am gonna hear SOME sound). Anyway I hope I have not upset the flow and any ideas that anyone may have I would take into consideration. Thanks

Back