Need some opinions on this mix (metal/hardcore stuff)

I'd say everything sounds really good. The snare doesn't seem to hit hard enough for me, but other than that, I'd say it sounds professionally done.

I'd say everything sounds really good. The snare doesn't seem to hit hard enough for me, but other than that, I'd say it sounds professionally done.

Not enough crack, body, or volume in general? The snare has been giving me a lot of problems because of dynamics in other songs and so far I haven't really been satisfied with it (or the guitars at times either).

I'd say a combination of crack and volume. How to get that? not sure. I always have a hard time getting snare sounds right.

Real cool, nice recording too.
Only thing is that the vocals to me seem to sing one same tone thru the whole song. They could vary a little, kinda like Cory Taylor's with Slipknot. But I guess it's a matter of taste....
Good head-bangin' stuff :D

Joe

I've got no part in the performance of this recording, only the tracking/mixing/mastering, so vocal performance is out of scope :D

Nice job on the recording. If i could offer up any advice it would be to boost a little of the highs on the snare, and the kicks, also bring those up a little as well. The vox sit appropriately. Also i think (personal opinion) the entire mix needs a little brightness to it. Good job though, this can be a very difficult style of music to mix with everything fighting for the same space. Good stuff!

Yeah, I think at this point it's basically a matter of preference for the individual listener. Personally I like a more drum-heavy mix but the band wants guitars to be in front of everything, then bass not far behind, then vocals/drums balanced. Kind of weird but so far it's turning out decent (in my opinion at least).
Any offending frequencies in the cymbals or guitars? Levels good? Too harsh on the ears? Or am I pretty kosher at this point?

I think everything is good now, but the kick isn't clicky enough for my taste. It still sounds a little muffled to me. It just needs more presence to cut through a little more. Other than that i think you are pretty well on the money for this sound/genre of metal.

I don't think the guitar sounds metal at all. The guitar seem just not to sit well with everything else. If the guitar had a different sound, the snare was louder and the vox was just hair louder, I think it would sound really good. Not that it doesn't sound good already, my biggest thing is the guitars just don't seem to fit the style. But then again maybe that is what they or you wanted, cause they don't sound bad just different.

Back