Need some MOBO combo recos...any thoughts?

zip

I'm getting ready to sink yet more cash into my PC because I'm quickly finding as my software gets more powerful (Logic 5) my PC just ain't cutting it. :(

This is my current PC setup...

PIII 550MHz w/ 810e chipset
2 - 7200RPM Maxtor HD's (40/60gig)
Motu 828 w/ Maxtor FW card
256Meg SD ram

What I want to do is replace my MOBO / CPU and put it in the kids computer. (good excuse to upgrade mine)

From what I've read this is what I do / don't want...(wish list)

- CPU P4 or Athlon XP @ 1.5 GHz or greater
- Asus or Soyo MOBO
- NO Via Chipsets
- DDR Ram
- video card (since my current is built in)

I'm thinking about a $300 or so budget IF POSSIBLE. My problem is this - I go to a PC website and try to spec it out my self and there are just SOOOOOOOOO many options and little suprises - my fav being "this board SUPPORTS a X CPU" even though it apprears to come with one in the description. :mad:

Anyway - anyone have any good info for what works for high end audio? What to avoid? Any good info or shopping links???

Unless you are a hardware guru - which I am not - this is a tough process to go through! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

(PS - I thought researching a mic/ preamp / front-end / software combo was tough... :eek:)

Thanks!!

zip >>

Probably not possible for under $300. There's a good chance you'll need a new power supply - 350W is a good choice, any less and you risk a slew of strange, and seemingly untraceable, computer problems. If you go with an Athlon, you're pretty much forced into using at least one VIA chip - unless you go dual Athlon, but that's gonna really blow your budget to hell. I would recommend the following:
Gigabyte GA-7DX+ motherboard
Athlon XP (you can pick the speed based on your budget)
512MB Crucial DDR RAM
Matrox G450 video card

With a new power supply, that's gonna run about $550 or so. You could get by with less RAM (less good RAM is probably better than more generic RAM) and a cheaper video card, but finding a good stable motherboard is a must.

I'll check on the power supply...thanks. :)

I guess you are chosing the Athlon for monetary reasons? (to try and fit my budget)

Zip, I hav'nt checked, but did you post this question on logic forum at sonik ? Someone there will give you a more definitive answer I would think. I think ASUS is the best board going for logic right now, but I have not been in the market for a new board lately, so some of the new stuff could be up to snuff.
Here's a link to a page that might give you some insight.

http://www.digitalnaturalsound.com/logic_dsp/perform.shtml

I was told by a quite creditable scource that M(icro)S(tar)I(nterprises) are quality, stable boards. So I bought one with a Intel 845 chipset running a P4 1.6 and it gives me NO trouble. Everything I have worked the first time and it has only locked up on me once or twice in the past week due to software problems.

If you go with an Athlon, you're pretty much forced into using at least one VIA chip

No you're not.

I'm using an nforce chipset (Asus A7N266-C mobo with an 1700+ Athlon XP) which has been up 24/7 without any problems for a month now with my Delta 66 under win2k

If you read the logic forums at sonik, there are some users there who also use nforce mobos with great success (do a search on nforce, I've posted links and benches before)
The Sis 735 and 745 chipsets also seem to work for some people, although personaly I've heard bad things about them.

If you go with AMD then get an AMD chipset. They exist although they arent as popular, and they are the most reliable for the processor. Most places you ask will recomend them. I know I wouldn't trust my Intel chip to anything else than an Intel chipset...

I did post a similar thread on Sonik...

But - different users offer different perspectives. That, coupled with the fact that those "in the know" over there go all out and get combos I can't afford.

Anyway - I like as many opinions as possible before I make this change! I researched the Motu / Logic combo for over a year before I bought...:D Me likey LOGIC.... :D

I was looking at a Soyo Fire Dragon / P4 2.2gig combo today that made my jaw drop...

...when I saw the $$ tag!

I am leaning towards Asus but not sure about the Athlon / P4 decision.

Thanks for the links and keep the perspective coming!!

zip >>

I just bought an older MSI Athlon board (VIA 133a based), setting it up tonight actually. Although audio is not its intended mission, I would not slag VIA too much. The 266a chipset seems to be reported pretty reliable. There are just a few audio hardware pieces that seem to have issues, which leads me to conclude that the people writting the audio drivers are part of the problem.

As for chipsets, I always like TomsHardware.com for motherboard info. As I recall they rated the NVidia chipset as a neat design but slower than VIA.

As for SiS, I just finished going through computer hell with two 735 based ECS motherboards, I wouldn't wish those dogs on anyone. And yet a guy I know at work has one that is working fine.... so go figure.

Not slighting VIA at all...

...but there are some known issues with Motu firewire devices and VIA chipsets.

I'll check out that site. Thanks!

zip >>

Finished installing the MSI motherboard last night. So far (knock on wood) its working, but have not really loaded any apps on it. Interesting that somewhere in the notes for MSI's version 3.3 BIOS update (already installed on my board) was a bit about "fixing audio noise issues".

I researched the hell out of my latest computer purchase... and here's what I came up with...

Mobo: Soyo Dragon Plus (must be the "plus" model)

One of the fasted Athlon boards out there. (Currently the VIA KT266a chipset, which this mobo uses, is the fastest) Stable as all get out... even under aggressive memory/FSB timings. And it comes with a butt-load of stuff (Norton utilities, smartcard reader, extra USB jacks for 3.5 slot, Dolby 5.1 onboard sound with S/PDIF connections, etc. etc.)

CPU: Athlon XP 1900+ (or whatever your budget can handle)

(And I would still just buy AMD's even if they cost as much as Intel... but fortunately, they don't. :D )

Video Card: If you're getting a video card, don't get anything other than a GeForce2... (at least) The old GeForce2's go for chump change nowadays and they are smokin' cards. (relative to other cards their age) And since the GeForce4's just came out, the 2's and 3's have gone down even more making them an even better deal.

Right now I'm buyin' a buddy the same mobo and CPU combo that I got and I'm payin' less than 300 for both. 122 for the board and 148 for the CPU.

I have yet to have even a hiccup on this setup and I've been running it 24/7 (as a game server) for a few months now.

As for shopping links... the only places I buy my stuff at is either eBay or Pricewatch.

WATYF

Video card

Greetings,

Instead of going for gforce, why not go radeon? I know there was lots of driver issues before, but there are serveral recent reviews on the web with updated drivers showing it performs very close to gforce. and it had DUAL MONITOR SUPPORT!!!
Also I think they are much cheaper too...

SirRiff

Is there any reason to suspect that ATI's track record will significantly change in the future? If you want rock solid drivers, the best 2D in the industry, and the best dual display support Matrox is the only option.

depends on soundcard

Zip,

One thing I've learned from my own MoBo experience that a good MoBo for one sound card may not work well with another. I suggest you call the help desk at MOTU and ask the tech guys what system they recommend. They should at least be able to steer you away from known conflicts.

For the same reason, be wary of advice from folks here if they don't also have a MOTU.

Back