Need some mixing help

BenDaMan58

Hey all, new to the forum and just wanted to see what input I could get with some of my mixes. I play guitar, bass, and attempt to sing. My voice isn't the greatest, but its fine for the (very) low budget recording that I'm doing. I just started tracking and want any advice, guidance, training, help, ect. I can get. Check out the first two tracks (Let Down, and Break Down) at http://www.myspace.com/benjanelleproject and let me know what you think.

I don't really know what to say. What are you recording with? A built in Mac mic?

There are no highs to speak of, like you're using a REALLY horrible mic, or you eq'ed all the high end out of it. There is also clipping. Recording things at a lower volume and then turn them up AFTER they've been recorded, so you don't clip the signal on input. Also make sure it does not clip at any time when it's inside the computer either. no red lights ever.

thanks

Thanks for the input.. as I said, very new to this all. Guitar parts were recorded direct plug-in from my amp, and vocals were recorded on a cheap (and thus probably really bad) radio shack mic. Any recommendations for a better vocal and/or instrument mic <$100? Thanks for the lower volume tip. I'm sure it seems stupid, but hadn't really throught about it. Also, EQ is new to me, I understand the basic concept of limiting or boosting frequencies, but have any general tips, or basic presets to start from?

Back