need some last minute advise on soundcard??

Deadboyy

OOOO Kay,,,,, I'v studied many months on how im going to record. I'v decided to go with my pc instead of dat's and other digital recording stations. My main concern was the quality of the conversion from analog to digital. Im more of a soloist, so I really didn,t care about alot of in's and out,s of some interfaces out there like the delta 1010. I'v decided to go with the LUCID A\D converters and run it to a soundcard.

So my question is ,, what soundcard should I get that does a good job handling digital signals. Or will just any basic soundcard like ( soundblaster live or something else cheap $$$ like that ) do good with the digital in's.

Since the Lucid converters are so expensive I wanted to avoid going to RME or Midiman for the soundcard ,, to save a little cash. But if my theory is wrong and (ALL SEMI GOOD CARDS DON'T DO DIGITAL THE SAME) I will fork over the extra bucks and go for the quality of RME instead of soundblaster....

Someone please help!!!!! Sorry about the wording, I probly sound like a retard.....

:confused:

Delta Audiophile is an option @ $159......I cant for the life of me remember who it was, but someone here used an external converter with a SB Live and it sounded really good...but id go for better...from what i understand the SB does some sort of sampling instead of straight digital transfer.....Audiophile will do straight digital transfers at 24/96......if you are springing for Lucids, dont crap out your sound with a cheap card......

Remember the Lucid AD will only convert the sound nothing else. How fast and clean it will travel to you PC will depend on your sound card. So Pick one with up to date drivers and low latency. I suggest take a look at RME DIGI 98/6 not the PST, Pro or Pad the regular one which doesn't have converters designed only for digital transfers. Don't buy a new one, look at ebay or classified adds like harmony-central.

im assuming you are looking at 24/96 converters?.....if you would be content with a 24bit/48khz card, Mars has the Delta Dio 2448 for $89........

Well the Lucid is one way to go (not always the best) but if you do that then at least make sure you get a soundcard with wordclock I/O or AES/EBU which (I think) has a clock sync signal. The Delta Audiophile and Dio cards do not have wordclock, while cards like the LynxOne and the RME cards do. Of course none of the cards that will be able to sync to the Lucid via wordclock or AES/EBU are cheap, so you're taking another $300-400 just to reliably transfer the digital signal into your computer. In my mind, this is what makes the Lucid (along with its limited I/Os) such a bad deal. BTW, if you transfer the signal of a Lucid via SPDIF with no sync, you will lose a significant portion of the converter quality to jitter.

Again, I think a Lucid to sound card setup is NOT the best way to go since it is very restricting. If you think you'll always be doing one track at a time, its going to be a pain just to keep plugging/unplugging things and when you start using things like external effects units or external compressors, you might want to record both dry/wet versions of a take while monitoring the wet while it happens and this probably won't happen unless you somehow have more I/Os. That's something to consider...personally I would opt for something like the Delta Omni Studio or Delta 1010 over 2 Channels of Lucid into a sound card, simply for usability.

Some of us have gone through an ordeal convincing a stupid Canadian named PRiZ to avoid the LynxOne and RME cards or a Lucid setup like you're suggesting in favor of the Deltas (I believe he settled on the 1010). He was convinced that he would only need 2 channels (or even *gasp* one channel!) of analog I/Os. Man, that was frustrating, but it seemed to be beneficial to the guy since he really had no clue of what his needs were. If I were you, I'd take the time to read through these two threads, I think it might give you another perspective on your sound card/converter decision:

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28626

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29138

yeah...

Two channels for analog to digital IS all you need for vocals, this will let you record in stereo and that's all you'd ever want...so go for the converter in my oppinion eh...

Back