Need some ideas for a singer/songwriter

ferris209

Hey guys, I am a fairly decent musician and an amateur recording engineer. That said, I have a close friend who is a pretty successful singer/songwriter. Needless to say he is absolutely oblivious to technology. He likes to sing into a mixer, which records to an on-board cassette tape. I can't remember to model number, but I think it was Alesis or Roland four channel mixing board with the cassette recorder on board. Well, this is all he's known for 10 years and it broke. Hoping we could bring him up a little, his significant other got him a tiny hand held digital recorder. That proved to be too small for him to find when he had an idea and the audio quality was lackluster to say the least. I'd like to get something similar to what he had before, but maybe in the digital era. Something large enough he won't lose, but small enough to put in a bag an travel with. It is also important that he be able to easily and quickly start recording before an idea slips away, which is why a laptop will not work since it as to start and all that stuff. It would be nice to record direct to an on board HDD and when it is full, he can push two or three buttons and burn the stuff he recorded to a CD. That would be the best, can any of you all offer any equipment suggestions? We have to keep this great music going.

i would check out some thoise small 4 track units that boss and zoom seem to be coming out with these days.....all seem to record direct to ram....im sure the quality is way better than what he has used in the past and easy to carry and too big to lose....

Just about everybody that made the cassette machines like what he used before make a similar kind of thing now that records either to on-board hard drive, or memory card or stick. Tascam, Sony, Zoom, Yamaha, Roland, etc. etc. They're all there.

I suggest you head him over to

www.sweetwater.com
www.musiciansfriend.com
www.fullcompass.com
www.americanmusicsupply.com
www.zzounds.com/a--2676837

And just start searching those sites for "DAW hardware" or "multitrack recorders". Or better yet, order their catalogs and look through those without being guided by the bias of a web marketing department.

I agree that if he's looking for something fast and portable, that Zoom makes some nice small stuff that doesn't work too badly.

G.

Thanks for the responses guys, that'll help greatly. I just wished I could find a nice four channel, or even just two channel, recorder with an on-board HDD that dumps to a CD via an on-board CD burner. All the ones I'm finding that can do that are all eight channel and have drum beats with sound effects that we don't need at all and just complicates the thing for him. But I'll muddle through the options and see what comes close. Again, Thanks guys!

Back