Need Some Help With Power Amps

drummerdoug86

So I just got some passive speakers and have been looking at power amps. I have a couple of questions:

1. The speakers are 300W and 8 ohms. Does that mean that I will only be able to run the amp at 8 ohms and not at 2, 4, etc.?

2. I have been looking at the Crown XLS 202 amp. I do not think it is possible to run it through my mixer and speakers by looking at its connections. Here is the information from Crowns web site:

Input/Output

Input Connectors: One per channel; backpanel
three-pin female XLR input connectors.

Input Impedance (nominally balanced, nominally
unbalanced): 20 k ohms, 10 k ohms.

Output Connectors: One 4-pole Speakon®
connector and one pair of back-panel, 5-way
binding posts per channel; accepts banana
plugs, spade lugs or bare wire. (European
models do not accept banana plugs.)

And here is what my setup would look like:

Mxer (1/4" outs) - - - - Crown Amp - - - - - Speakers (wire and 1/4" ins)

One more thing, I would like to be able to use the 1/4" ins on the speakers and not have to use the wire ins if its possible. But if there is no other choice I will do it if I have to.

Thanks.

In answer:

1. 300W 8 ohm speakers means the impedance is 8 ohms and the speakers can handle up to 300W of power. 8 ohms is a default for most speakers and amps. Most amps can also drive a 4 ohm load, but many cannot drive 2 ohms without problems. However if you use 8 ohm speakers, then the amp will be running at 8 ohms.

2. Generally mics run to the mixer, the mixer to the amp, and then the amp to speakers. This will generally always work. Adaptors can be used to match up cables and plugs of different forms.

Ed

:cool: Another caution; be sure to use speaker wire like 14 Ga. and not an instrument cable for your speakers...... Some times they look the same, but the guage in inst. cables is 20 or 22 Ga., and thats too small to carry the load to the speaker.......

da MUTT

Back