need some help with my yamaha MD8

jordiemac

ok so i've had my MD8 for awhile and here is my problem...i'm a noob and i don't know too much about mixing down. My problem is how can i get the music from my MD8 to something else? Like I've tried using the stereo out into my sound card on my computer and recording it to like the windows recorder but the quality loss is sick. I need to know what some good ways are of getting the audio off the MD8 and onto the computer preferably...or something else...but i don't know where to start.

Find an inexpensive CD mixdown deck if your unit doesnt have one built in. I picked a sony up for cheap a while ago and I'm still using it for rough mixs. Although most my final mixes are mixed down to a half inch machine now.

Another alternative would be to get a better soundcard for your comp like this.

Then just plug your MD8 straight in and record your mix to the freeware Audacity, save it as a wav file and burn it to a CD.

beauty thanks guys...by the way a cd mixdown deck...does that basically have a rca input and it burns directly to cd? I'm not sure how that works...and what sort of price ranges are they...any good makes or models you know of?

Did you click on the link I provided?

That soundcard has RCA inputs and burns directly to CD when you save the wav file from Audacity.

The cheapest standalone CD player I know of is the HHB and that uses special 'music' disks and it's still around $400.

jordiemac said:
beauty thanks guys...by the way a cd mixdown deck...does that basically have a rca input and it burns directly to cd? I'm not sure how that works...and what sort of price ranges are they...any good makes or models you know of?

Here's a page with the CD Recorder offerings from ZZounds. I tried looking at Full Compass, but their page was being slow for me today. The cheapest one on this page seems to be a 5 disc recorder for $299 from Sony

http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/p...2814&ob=p19&button=Filter+Results&form=search

With professional decks, they Inputs could vary from RCA and/or XLR (maybe even 1/4") and even digital Input (S/PDif and/or TosLink)

ssscientist said:
The cheapest standalone CD player I know of is the HHB and that uses special 'music' disks and it's still around $400.

special music discs? CD media is all the same (manufacturers make them out of varying materials) but they only become an audio (Red Book) or data (Yellow Book) when you burn it

special music discs? CD media is all the same (manufacturers make them out of varying materials) but they only become an audio (Red Book) or data (Yellow Book) when you burn it

Thats not true for realtime cd recording.

Most CDR media that is found in office and retail stores is not rated to be burned at slow speeds. Most CDR media on the market is designed to be used with high speed computer CD burners. When these disks are used in a real time CD burner the user encounters errors . HHB administered a test of current media compatibility with the CDR830 and CDR830PLUS CD Recorders. CDR830 and CDR830PLUS CD Recorders do not work with high speed CD-R media, such as that found at office supply stores.

At this time, HHB recommends the use of Mitsui Consumer, Apogee Gold and HHB CD-R media only with CDR830 and CDR830PLUS Recorders.

altitude909 said:
Thats not true for realtime cd recording.

I think that most of that is marketing, personally. And if the only concern is the speed of the disc (which I could understand) then you just get a lower speed recording media.

The fact that they're mentioning specific brands (including their own) makes me suspicious.

It's just like how regular blank CD media get marketed as "music" or "data." The only differences are what they're made out of and how physically durable the disc is.

sweet thanks guys...i just wanted some input on what you 'vets of the biz' do to get your tracks from the MD8(or equivalent old school recording console), to the computer...or to some sort of digital media. Looks like the easiest way is to get a decent sound card with RCA inputs then to use some software like the freeware mentioned above to compile and burn it. Thanks Fellas

:)

Back