Need Some Help please

Metallica5

Hi, How does this recording setup sound for a pretty good sound:
For Recording-
CTX Computer with 256 ram and 8gb of rom.

EWS88 MT Multitracking Soundcard

SEK'D Samplitude Studio

For Mixing-
Some other computer(it's my friends, I'm not sure what it has)
Sounblaster Live 5.1

Cool Edit Pro

Cd Burner
How do I go about hooking everything up? I'm using one computer for recording and one for mixing so that they dont have to much stuff on them. Will this work? Also, does anyone know anything about Samplitude Studio(is it a sample studio or this that just the name) does it have mixdown capabilities? thanks a million

ok, this makes about 1% sense right now...?

you are tracking on one machine and mixing on another??? How exactly are you getting the audio from one box to the next?? Im not saying it wont work... it just is problematical.

what are the specs on your machine?? I mean processor...and im lazy and on some dialup..so what can your soundcard do, too?

sounds like you need another harddrive in your machine.... maybe pullit out of your buddy's.. or go get it ($100 on debit card...not having to mix to you buddys machine= priceless)..

CEP is good for tracking.... leaves a little to be desired in MIDI an Mixing realms...

What kind of Burner?? What does it look like?

xoxo

I decided that I'm changing what I am going to get. I will use only one computer (the ctx). I will be getting the following:

256MB RAM

10GB ROM

LG 16x10x40 Internal CD-RW Drive

Cubase VST 5.0

Mixman Studio Pro PC

Soundblaster Live 5.1

I'm using my Tascam 414mkII as my mixer.

I still have some questions though. Will 10GB of hard drive be enough for all of this? Also, is Mixman neccesary or does Cubase have mixdown capabilities? How do I go about hooking everything up? What cables do I need? Am I forgetiing anything? I really aprreciate your help.

That 10 Gig hard drive will get cramped pretty quick. You can get around it by burning all of your song files to CD then deleting them from your drive. That gets tedious fast since you have to copy the whole song back and forth if you make changes.

Cubase works fine for mixdown- I assume you mean mixing your tunes down to 2 tracks. You can also use it to trim the final stereo file to length and do fades and such, though there are better programs for that kind of thing.

I'm assuming you have mics and all the stuff you need to hook them up to your Tascam?

Other than that, plug stereo outs into the line input of your SB card. If the SB has a line out send that to your stereo or whatever you'll be using as monitors. If it doesn't have a line out use the headphone out. Radio Shack has the fun cables that go from 2 RCA's to 1 1/8" stereo plug.

It sounds like a good starter system, though you haven't mentioned how fast the processor is on the CTX or what opperating system you are using. Those are important things to know.

Chris beat me to the post, invalidating all the witty salient points of my post.

You might check out the Newbie and Cubase forums, while you're here.

There's a guy on this board who gets really nice results from a Soundblaster with a Shure SM-57 mic, you might ask him how he does it... his name is "geekformayor."

Too fill out the topic a bit...

There is nothing wrong with recording on one machine and mixing on another... if you use the same software on one machine, it makes it easier, but the main thing to worry about is that both "sound cards" support the same audio resolution.

I've been recording remotely and mixing at home for awhile now, works great. I record on my MOTU 828 remotely at 24bit/48khz, and mix on my SBAudigy at home. The Audigy supports 24/48khz, so the "migration" is fine. I transfer either by lan or an external firewire hdd...

This is the reason we use digital, so the recorded sounds are portable with out degradation ...

Mo.

Its a Pentium II processor and yes i have all the mics and stuff I need with the tascam. I still have 2 more questions: Do I need firewire harddrive or can I buy hard drive from best buy and get it installed along with taking it out of my friends computer? I dont know anything about computers I just know how to record on my tascam. thanks

Back