need some help please

kingofallkings

hi, i'm pretty new to this board and i need some help. i've recently bought a roland vs2480 and now i'm looking to do a demo for my band, the problem is that i'm not sure what mics to go for. for drum mics i'm thinkin sm57 on the snare and d112 on the kick (i'm lookin for a clicky sound, heard it's good) but i'm not sure about toms or overheads, and i definately do wanna mic the toms because i'm looking for a tight close mic'ed sound (we play metal) .we've been experimenting with bass and we've got a really cool sound just DIing it (it has a built in preamp) so thats not really a problem. for vocals (screaming and singing) i was thinking of a rode? don't know which, maybe nt1? my budget is about £1000 for drum mics but i would like to get the vocal mic with this money as well. i've been lookin on ebay but i'm not really sure what i'm looking for. also if there's any other gear you think would be useful please let me know ie, preamps, which i don't know much about. my budget is expandable if a little more money will make a big difference. any tips or advice would be hugely appreciated. thanx a lot.

great board by the way

andy

Hi Andy

Try a search on micing drums, if you still have questions they're a knowledgeable bunch in the mic forum and you'll get plenty of opinions there.

Am I right in thinking the vs2480 has 8 preamps? You'll basically need as many pres as tracks you intend to record simultaneously with mics.

If I were in your position I'd spend the £1000 on mics and look to upgrade pres later on if you think this is necessary. (unless of course you need to record more than 8 tracks with mics simultaneously?)

With vocal mics it's best to try as many as possible and find one or two that complement the singers voice. I've spent a bit of money on some condensor mics but I still prefer my own voice through a Shure SM58. Not a big deal for me because I record a few singers and use the condensors on other sources anyway. But if you're looking for a dedicated vocal mic for primarily recording one singer make sure it's a good mic for their voice.

Back