Need some help on Mics please..

stealth_prod

Hey everyone, I have a small studio setup that has done justice for what I need it to do but im looking to upgrade my mic and then preamp after. Right now I have a AKG perception 100 and art mp v3 preamp. I know nether one is very good but when I bout them I was the extreme budget. Well my budget has gone up a bit and im looking to upgrade the mic. Looking around the $300 range. I like what shure has to offer but im looking for any feedback anyone has on these mics. SM7B or KSM27(I think). I do all sorts of different vocals so im looking for something that has a overall smooth, warm, natural sound.

Now I know the preamp makes a big difference but my thinking is that its better to upgrade the Mic first. So if anyone has any feedback about some mics in the $300 range I would love to hear them. Thanks in advance.

Hello there.

I just bought a CAD m137 condenser mic on ebay for $128.00 delivered right to my door! The M179 is an EXCELLENT value. 5 polar patterns, quiet, neutral and an all around wonderful little mic. With 5 polar patterns, it's like having 5 mics in one! I think it will be a very versatile mic in my home studio. I have a little ART tube mic pre too, and the two together sound great for my needs, my studio is small and mostly used for demos.

I also have
3) Shure SM58
6) Shure SM57
2) Audio Technica 20/20
2) Shure KSM109

Hope this helps.
Scott.

The only thing listing at that price that is actually being used in pro studios with any regularity is the Shure SM7...and you might nail one on Ebay for less used.

I just missed a used At 4050 on ebay for $300 flat. Also, there was a used KSM44 for $389 that I did not have enough money to buy a few weeks ago. I say save up a couple bucks and check ebay daily, you should be able to find a bid that you can win. Other than that, if you are looking for a rock solid dynamic, the SM7b is your best bet. I like it more then the RE-20 and it works wonders on just about every practical source.

I just missed a used At 4050 on ebay for $300 flat. Also, there was a used KSM44 for $389 that I did not have enough money to buy a few weeks ago. I say save up a couple bucks and check ebay daily, you should be able to find a bid that you can win. Other than that, if you are looking for a rock solid dynamic, the SM7b is your best bet. I like it more then the RE-20 and it works wonders on just about every practical source.

I hit an KSM32 for just under $300...new on Ebay...Its been a pretty good buy...Steely dan's last record has it all over it on instruments...I just bought a KSM44 from a member for a little over $400 here....and it was practically new...Im not sure of any records that has it on thier equipment lists...but Ill bet it has been used alot.

Yeah I really like the sound on acoustic guitars for the 44, and the vocals are pretty nice too. The only bad thing I could say is that it lacks a little bit of color on the vocals. I mean hell, I wanna sound sexy! Anyways, if I wanted my recording to sound like me, I would just buy a baby blue bottle!

Back