Need some help getting started.

getupkid0717

Next fall when i move away to school ill be leaving all of my recording gear at home. i was looking into MIDI recordings to keep myself busy on my computer in the dorm. i just wanted to ask some questions that could help me get started...

I need a controller or keyboard of some kind, probably about 50 notes or so. what brands would you recommend?

Do i need seperate software to make drum beats, piano sounds, electric piano, strings, etc.?

I run Adobe Audition. is this a good enough program for this task? if not, what are your suggestions?

lastly, what kind of other hardware do i need to run everything to the computer?

what is an estimated cost for this?

getupkid0717 said:
I need a controller or keyboard of some kind, probably about 50 notes or so. what brands would you recommend?
Edirol, M-Audio and Evolution all make USB-equipped keyboards with 49 velocity sensitive keys in the $150 range. You might as well buy a new one because the used ones don't go for much less...
Do i need seperate software to make drum beats, piano sounds, electric piano, strings, etc.?
Not if you have a host that can use VST plugins. Then you can spend part of your time on KVR sniffing out free plugins.
I run Adobe Audition. is this a good enough program for this task? if not, what are your suggestions?
I recommend you look at Tracktion. Download a demo version here. In my opinion it's the easiest to understand and use audio/midi sequencer out there. It runs VST plugins and comes with a whole bunch of them.
lastly, what kind of other hardware do i need to run everything to the computer?
If you've already got a USB midi keyboard and you're not going to be running any other midi gear you just need a USB or Firewire audio interface. Be the first on your block to have one of these or the second on your block to have one of these.
what is an estimated cost for this?
Keyboard = $150 + software $150 + interface $100 = $450

Back