Need Some Encouragement

ChuckV

Hey guys,

I'm probably one of the biggest nubs around right now, so this thread might seem a little bitchy but here I go.

I'm doing an internship for the last term of my senior year. I have to write, score, and record 10 songs. I have a POD I've been using for a pretty good while, adobe Audition, some nice gear, could be better but I don't know too much.

I don't know too much about the really detailed stuff in recording, but I've been reading a lot into guitar and music stuff for a pretty good while now, so I'm just wondering, can my ears carry me where my knowledge won't?

I've been looking at my favorite band's recordings and how they appear in Adobe Audition, and I've been trying to get them to do the same things, and now I'm gonna do that while lurking around this forum, is this a bad idea at all? Can I survive this way, at least for now?

Are there any good books I should check out for this kind of thing? Sorry if the overall purpose of my thread is confusing.

ChuckV said:
Hey guys,

I'm probably one of the biggest nubs around right now, so this thread might seem a little bitchy but here I go.

I'm doing an internship for the last term of my senior year. I have to write, score, and record 10 songs. I have a POD I've been using for a pretty good while, adobe Audition, some nice gear, could be better but I don't know too much.

I don't know too much about the really detailed stuff in recording, but I've been reading a lot into guitar and music stuff for a pretty good while now, so I'm just wondering, can my ears carry me where my knowledge won't?

I've been looking at my favorite band's recordings and how they appear in Adobe Audition, and I've been trying to get them to do the same things, and now I'm gonna do that while lurking around this forum, is this a bad idea at all? Can I survive this way, at least for now?

Are there any good books I should check out for this kind of thing? Sorry if the overall purpose of my thread is confusing.

Ears are key;)
Get the mixing engineers hand book. It has some good stuff in it. Some real basic eq charts for what makes things "boxy" or "harsh". Sections on the use of stereo and depth of field. It will get you a good start and not be over whelming.

Good Luck, YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

F.S.

Freudian Slip said:
Ears are key;)
Get the mixing engineers hand book. It has some good stuff in it. Some real basic eq charts for what makes things "boxy" or "harsh". Sections on the use of stereo and depth of field. It will get you a good start and not be over whelming.

Good Luck, YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

F.S.
Yep....your ears will be a good tool. looking at things, while maybe fun, won't do much. I can make a file look similar to a pro recording, but it won't sound anything like it. That starts with something being played well, and then captured well. Play it well, and record it correctly, and you are off to a good start. Get the basis to a good song first, then the rest will be easier to deal with.

From what I've learnt so far, comp editing and mastering can only make a good song sound even better. If the original recording isnt all that good, donto expect to "fix it" in Audition later on. Do as many takes as it takes to get the perfect one. Just a little tip.

Mike

Thanks, It's great to hear response from this board, this is one of the best places I've found out on the net!

Thanks guys, I'm really hoping what you say about "perfect recording" is true, because, not to sound like a jerk, (I hope) but I am confident in that much, I am a perfectionist as far as performance goes, Metronome clicking away, doing hundreds of takes of a passage or riff until it's perfect, I really hope that can carry me where my lackluster knowledge won't.

I'm treating up my room a bit, investing some money in monitors, spending alot of time with my tone and reading books like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Sound-Advice-...8704862?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1174536763&sr=8-3

Has anyone ever seen these?

I hope this one has okay knowledge because It's pretty simple compared to the jargon everyone spits around here, which I hope comes in time for me. Sorry to sound selfish and weird about this thread, but I'm really excited/anxious for learning about this stuff, I got into college with a Music/Sound Recording major, and there's a lot of fear from reading so much from so many musicians... dangerous business...

ChuckV said:
I'm just wondering, can my ears carry me where my knowledge won't?
Yes and no. Having a good ear and a generally good musical talent is imperative, but there is no substitute for experience. I've been a pro musician since 15, but that didnt translate to the recording world, I had to pay my dues and learn this stuff. I have a LOT more to learn, :o but I can make a fairly decent recording now on prosumer equipment. I joined this dump in 2000 :eek: It only been the last two years that I have taken it seriously. There is a TON of info on this forum and some smart cookies as well. Stick around and you will learn a lot. :cool:

In this thread you've talked about performance, acoustic treatment and monitoring.

Sounds to me like you already have a good idea of what the priorities are in making good recordings. Nice recording gear is great but it's not half as important as the stuff you've already identified.

Any producer will tell you the key to musical success is having a great song. The preformance of that song is the next big key. The quality of the recording is last on the list.

sounds like you are on the rigth track. Time is the one thing that can carry you through, the more you inveest, the more sucessful you will be.

You should psot some questions about the stuff that is challenging you, you can probabaly get some answers pretty quickly. Also, check out Reaper, tiny installation and easy to use multitracking with all the features of the big prodcuts. Might help simplify the process for you a bit.

Daav

Back