Need some advice for mixing

Consider rendering it as an MP3 and attaching it to the post via Attach files button. I'm not going to download a potentially huge .wav file from someone's dropbox.

Consider rendering it as an MP3 and attaching it to the post via Attach files button. I'm not going to download a potentially huge .wav file from someone's dropbox.

I can usually listen directly in dropbox, even without downloading. :-)
I attaching it to the post. Thanks for advice.

Attachments

• Song109_myMix2.mp3
    8.9 MB
Hey man! Just some comments with composition:

The verse, bridge and chorus have the same tone.

Try adding distorted rhythm guitars in the chorus to make it sound more in your face.

The drums could use a little EQ and compression to make it have a bit more power.

2bus compression is a bit heavy for me overall. It sounds a bit choked and I always err on the side of overcompression. The low/mid bass frequencies of the mix are really congested and overpowering. it's a new wave song with some dynamics and would be cool to hear them. The guitars are super muddy and undefined due to too much reverb and/or because of the mid issues. Would be nice to hear some more detail in the guitars (in some genres this is a sonic choice). lead Vocal is a bit too loud to me. Also at the beginning of some of the vocal phrasing like the first words "you" etc the tuning is really apparent maybe back it off slightly there or that may be what you are going for? If your using melodyne maybe reset those blobs. End cuts of abruptly and it doesn't sound intentional. Drums sound pretty good too me.

These are of course only my opinions and what I would do. I do feel some of these issues though are keeping it from sounding more professional mix wise. It doesn't sound bad don't get me wrong just could be fine tuned.

This one was much more balanced. The vocals are still clear, but they sit better within the music.
Liked the solo from around 3.14
Thanks!

2bus compression is a bit heavy for me overall. It sounds a bit choked and I always err on the side of overcompression. The low/mid bass frequencies of the mix are really congested and overpowering. it's a new wave song with some dynamics and would be cool to hear them. The guitars are super muddy and undefined due to too much reverb and/or because of the mid issues. Would be nice to hear some more detail in the guitars (in some genres this is a sonic choice). lead Vocal is a bit too loud to me. Also at the beginning of some of the vocal phrasing like the first words "you" etc the tuning is really apparent maybe back it off slightly there or that may be what you are going for? If your using melodyne maybe reset those blobs. End cuts of abruptly and it doesn't sound intentional. Drums sound pretty good too me.

These are of course only my opinions and what I would do. I do feel some of these issues though are keeping it from sounding more professional mix wise. It doesn't sound bad don't get me wrong just could be fine tuned.
Thanks for the advice! Are you talking about the latest version of the song?

I listened to the last link to be sure! I can't remember which one I listened too. Vocals could come down a tad in some spots or maybe it's because they seem slightly disconnected from the rest of the band somehow (especially at :58). Unless I was mixing it I couldn't tell you why. Tuning on You etc still obvious to me, but only on the first words like "you" fly and "in" they sky etc rhythm guitars sound too wet for me but that's a style choice. Although you can have them wet and still have more definition with some predelay. Ending still seems abrupt to me with bass and guitar ending staggered. Maybe fade it out sooner or fade one or the other to match. Is the hi hat in intro real? it sounds separate from the rest of the kit maybe down 1-2 db or so in intro. If it's not going to the drum bus with the rest of the kit maybe that's it? Intro is cool reminds me of the cult. Want to hear the essence of those guitars more they are washy These are just my opinions and are not necessarily right.

Hello guys!
I mixed my song and I wanna hear your opinions and advice about mixing.

First thing - it's a good 80s sounding song - neat arrangement - on to the mixing - your rythmn guitars are off time - don't know what you are on - but it would help to move them and the drums together - the bass guitar needs to be aligned as well - your pitch on the vocals is pretty good - and the rhythmic interplay is really good - got a great tone as well - the lead guitar is in the same boat as the guitars - now if this is your style to play behind the beat a little than ignore what I have to say.

I listened to the last link to be sure! I can't remember which one I listened too. Vocals could come down a tad in some spots or maybe it's because they seem slightly disconnected from the rest of the band somehow (especially at :58). Unless I was mixing it I couldn't tell you why. Tuning on You etc still obvious to me, but only on the first words like "you" fly and "in" they sky etc rhythm guitars sound too wet for me but that's a style choice. Although you can have them wet and still have more definition with some predelay. Ending still seems abrupt to me with bass and guitar ending staggered. Maybe fade it out sooner or fade one or the other to match. Is the hi hat in intro real? it sounds separate from the rest of the kit maybe down 1-2 db or so in intro. If it's not going to the drum bus with the rest of the kit maybe that's it? Intro is cool reminds me of the cult. Want to hear the essence of those guitars more they are washy These are just my opinions and are not necessarily right.
Thanks! The advice to increase predelay helped a lot, rhythm guitars sound better. I also made the vocals quieter.
Hi hat in intro real. I think the master compressor compresses the hi-hat when the vocals come in. So in intro Hi-Hat louder. I reduced the overheads in Intro by automation. Your advice are very helpful!
First thing - it's a good 80s sounding song - neat arrangement - on to the mixing - your rythmn guitars are off time - don't know what you are on - but it would help to move them and the drums together - the bass guitar needs to be aligned as well - your pitch on the vocals is pretty good - and the rhythmic interplay is really good - got a great tone as well - the lead guitar is in the same boat as the guitars - now if this is your style to play behind the beat a little than ignore what I have to say.
Thanks for listening!
I really don't hear that guitars and bass out of time.

Attachments

• Song109_myMix9.mp3
    8.9 MB
I listened to a mix in the middle for balance...pretty cool song...quite liked your vocals upfront and the outcome solo was cool...

Back