Need some advanced help.. Home Studio. FAST!

d(-_-)b-Phones

Ahhh my old friends...
Heres the deal. I rebuilt my home studio after katrina www.myspace.com/omnimind But I was an idiot and somehow in the mix of everything I installed a sliding glass door without thinking between the live room and the control room. (you can see pictures at the site thats why i posted it.)

OK so heres the deal... I did build a 2x6 wall between with airspace and internal sound insulation... but the sliding glass door is killing me and so is my pocket book, I do have a moveable acoustic wall but its a pain in the ass. So im wondering what the best material (besides air) is good for stopping sound, need to kill about 10db through this door. I was thinking about foaming the door on the 2 sides that are possible with the nature of a sliding glass door, but... I dont know if that will be enough. Also I was thinking about running a sound curtan over the door. but I still need to see. So I need some good ideas fast I plan on getting what I can ordered today if I figure somthing out, I have a band comming in next week so this is a must do.

Thanks in advance

Derek

Wow. I guess maybe a while back this forum used to have some decent people on it, but the more i read around the more I think this place is full of morons. Don't bother responding to my question I figured it out.

And no... no matter what you think your little PC in the corner of your room with a casio keyboard is not a studio. its you recording sounds with bill gates. and to be honest I have never heard anything good from any of those setups. But thats just my opinion, remember this kids....

Too many leeches on this forum and not enough host ='s dead forum.

I wish it was 2 years ago and this place was still cool, but its not, I could find more help at my local walmart... unless im the newest hip hop artist and i need to know how to track a sound down on my korg 1600, then i imagine about 30 of you no brain slackers would respond.

Good luckto you whoever the last guy here with a brain is.

I can see why no one's tried to answer this one; man, I've been studying acoustics and sound control since 1980 and STILL can't come up with anything that will actually WORK when you wanna see, keep your money, get it done in less than a week, AND lose "about 10 dB" - especially since I'm gonna assume you mean for DRUM isolation, which would mean 10 dB TL at the LOW end of the frequency spectrum...

Still, momma never said I wasn't a masochist -

Can you post a sketch showing EXACTLY how your wall is built, from the CR side through to the other side? Materials, dimensions, enough detail so I could go buy materials and make an exact copy.

Next, the slider; single pane glass, or thermopane/insulated/argon-filled, what? Also, it's hard to tell from the one pic sliding by - where is the slider within the door frame - near or at the same plane as one of your wall surfaces, or nearer the CENTER of the distance between one side of the wall and the other?

Finally, I already know your time table but what's your budget? (I know, I know; if necessary, include the cents :=(

Do NOT, repeat NOT, buy anything that isn't CLEAR, HEAVY (this rules out plexiglas) or anything else before we've sorted the above things out - foam won't do anything for this, nor will blankets, etc - only mass, and ONLY in the CORRECT placement.

I may be available sometime later tonight, if not then tomorrow sometime - this should give you time to get the info/sketch together. If there's a way, I'll find it for you. IF not, I won't bullshit you. Ask anyone here if my name's not familiar to you... Steve

Man, two posts to this while I was answering; I understand your frustration whether you think so or not, if you REALLY have it figured out fine. If not, the offer still stands (and I agree this place has gone downhill, BTW) Steve

Well, I can say Steve sure helped me over at John Sayers forum. You would get a lot more/better help there - this is HR.com - most people here are recording in their bedroom, in the corner. Sorry that bothers you, but that's the way it is. It's how I started, but now, I am in the process of completing an acoustically correct (atleast somewhat anyway) control room. In part thanks to Steve (knightfly).

Anyway, good luck, hope everything works out for you.......

Yeah, it is a tricky one, I am also presuming that he still wants to be able to use the door to get from one room to another.

John Sayers loves to use sliding doors, but those are doors with heavier than normal glass, better seals, and always two of them at a slight angle so that blows all your other criteria.

My best guess is to still try to go the Sayers route and get a second Good sliding glass door, but then the real trick will be doing the installation details so that the two doors are isolated from one another in their frames. That may likely require reinstalling the existing door.

not to pick an argument with anyone, but I have some 5/8" thick plexiglass....
it doesn't really vibrate at all. stuff is very, very, heavy.
I used it in my little (10"X10") window in one of my studio doors, but price would probably be prohibitive for sliding-glass-door sized pieces.

So, tell me just how wonderful this place was "in the day", seems like
plenty of good advice in here now, and a smattering of $10/1 day solution seekers with attitudes.
cheers
C>

If you think plexiglas is heavy, pick up a 5/8" sheet of glass; plexi weighs less than HALF what the same thickness of glass weighs, it scratches 'way too easily, and since mass is what stops sound it's also a lot less effective than glass for that as well.

As for attitude, I personally didn't lose my ass to Katrina; so I might tend to cut a little slack for someone who DID, and STILL has their act back together - but then, I always WAS a sucker for a good story... :=) Steve

Yeah, that's the point of my earlier questions; if the existing slider is already 2-pane (as in thermopane, argon-filled, etc) then adding another slider will make the LF TL WORSE instead of better. If the existing door is a single pane, then a second door (if framing isn't impossible) should help... Steve

(All of which is kind of a moot point, as it seems our frustrated Mr. d(-_-)b-Phones has left the building...)

Kfly; yea, no kidding about the mass, I didn't do any comparisons/think about glass mass-wise.
I was just pretty sure it did an ok job of stopping most noise, and didn't vibrate.
Added bonus I could cut it without much drama. Added bonus #2 is that
the plexi was free....

on the slack side, I've noticed several of the long-termers becoming
pretty impatient with noobies.... maybe they (longtermers) are tired
of answering the same questions over & over & over. I can see where
that would wear on someone after a while.

Maybe a FAQ/Guide to homebuilt recording spaces would be the ticket?
As a sticky at the top of the building/display it might be nice to steer
people to, cut down on the overhead for you knowledgable types.
cheers
C.

I was not snapping at anyone directly, I went ahead and put in a 2nd door, it was the best Idea I had.

And steve I am glad someone agree's with me, this place used to be great, and now its trash. Seems like alot of beat box kids with us old analoug gezers thrown into the mix.

for closures sake. Thank you for your responces. and I dont think I will be coming back here. Steve I may see you at your new hangout.

Later.

d(-_-)b-Phones said:
I was not snapping at anyone directly, I went ahead and put in a 2nd door, it was the best Idea I had.

And steve I am glad someone agree's with me, this place used to be great, and now its trash. Seems like alot of beat box kids with us old analoug gezers thrown into the mix.

for closures sake. Thank you for your responces. and I dont think I will be coming back here. Steve I may see you at your new hangout.

Later.
So, did the second door get you the -10db you were looking for?

Back