Need serious advice on warmth--and digital recording

Deadboyy

Ok after reading this message board and realizing that im not the only clueless person out there trying to record quality music on a budget.......

Im in the process of building a studio and for the low cost of it im going the PC ,,,,interface,,,soundcard,,,software route........

What I do know is that when you convert analog to digital it tends to sound kind of flat and flakey,,,im going with the omni studio which comes with the delta 66 card and I heard that the A/D converter is good on that one..
(I hope) but anyway in order to avoid getting my sound to flat and hollow sounding is to make it as warm as possible before it hits that A/D converter on the sound card....so im thinking to get tube mics,,,tube pre amps,,maybe 2 or 3 tube preamps,,and just go tube crazy,,so when my songs that sound great coming out of my amp doesnt get dittered down to digital flatness...

So I guess my question is ,,,,am I right in doing this or am I just a stupid newbie just guessing at all this

Thanks and i hope you reply cause im clueless

"Warmth"? When I need warmth I black out all the windows, light some candles, and a few sticks of incense. A bottle of fine french brandy. A couple of female admirers. "Warmth".

its a load of crap. the converters out there today are great, and you will not get any edginess. im beginning to hate the lingo 'warm' 'round' 'smooth' 'edgy'. i think it should all be replaced with the ever handy 'good' or 'bad'.
I think the edginess you speak of has become everybody's desire currently to fill up their hearing spectrum. we have manufacturers spewing out mics that go 20-20,000 left and right, but why? what pains me the most as well is seeing the graphic EQ on my brothers system get its 18,000hz band lit up full. why?! nothing has that much high frequencies. i've even seen someone post a thread about cables and how to use shorter ones to get the full 20-20,000 on his electric guitar :rolleyes:.

anyway, back to what i was saying, what the edginess that i think people EQ in all the bands over 15,000hz up really really high trying to get i dont know what sound, but it gets harsh... and sounds like crap. and with the ease of getting this technology at our finger tips, someone who is used to recording on their TSR8 with an analog board gets a very very good sound. why? first the tape compression we're used to and you CANT eq in rediculous amounts of high end without creating a bunch of hiss, and high shelves arent at 18+kHz. anyway, this guy gets a hold of a DAW and he brings in the highs. death to sound, best described as edginess.

Thanks kristian

yea thanks for lifting my worries about this ,, youve made it a little easier for me to fork over all that money

Back