Need reccomendations on computer mixing software

clifchamb

Hi all,

I started myself out on <gasp> Cakewalk Clubtracks to get my feet wet at mixing and editing tracks on PC.

I am ready to take the next step into something more advanced, yet I appreciate the ease of use and familiarity with cakewalk. I have watched a friend use SONAR and it seems pretty cool.

ANy other reccomendations? I am on a tighter budget so I need the best bang for my buck:)

Thanks for your repiles!

c

I'm completely relaxed, comfortable & still learning at a steady, unrushed rate in Cakewalk Pro Audio 9.3 - old tech but GOOD.
Heaps of folk are happy with Audacity.
Don't just watch your friend use Sonar get the friend to guide you through a few tasks using it. That way you'll KNOW how you feel before you spend the big bucks.
It really depends on what you want to achieve, what your sources will be & what you can afford.
Cheers
rayC

Take a look at REAPER:
http://www.cockos.com/reaper/
It's still in Beta, and as such, is free, for now. Documentation is pretty much non-existent, so some prior experience with other software packages is handy. But with automation (called 'envelopes') on everything from volume and pan to FX sends and parameters, it's pretty powerful. VST, DX, and ASIO support, of course.

djhead said:
Sounds like im the only one who loves Pro Tools

Your not the only one. :) With some of the new low-end products, newbies can learn on the same (or very similar) software used in first-class studios.

Best bang for your buck.

Seriously considering selling my MBox and getting something with more imputs....the choice is so hard....industry standard recording software or more inputs for less?

I have Used Cubase ,Sonar ,Ableton Live and Reason But I couldn"t Figure them out because I am used to recording in the Analogue Domain so I wanted a Program that was set up more like an analogue Studio and I found one and it is a great one too...

I use "Mackie Traction v2.1" and I love it, It is so easy to use and everything is set up Simular to an analogue Studio....I spent days trying to Figure out those other Programs and got absolutly nowere but within 5 Minutes of Useing Mackie Traction for the First time I was recording multiple Tracks Simutainiusly.....

For me this is the Best program I have used so far but I also Liked N-Track Studio but didn"t want to Fork out even more money for more software I was never going to use.....

I have now gotten a Version of ProTools but I"m afraid to install it as I don"t want to like it and have to switch but Knowing my Luck it is simular to the other programs I couldn"t Figure out......

You can Download a Demo of Traction at the Mackie web site and the Full retail version is much cheaper than more Good Recording programs as it is only about $150 for the Full retail version and it supports Up to 32 Audio Tracks and 99 Midi Tracks and also has Full support for VST,VSTI,DX,ECT, and works with all Audio Interfaces that I know of.....

It is definately worth a Try especially if you are New to Computer recording....

Cheers

Back