Need plans for a 4-way stereo monitor (speaker) switching box.

Chattbox1

Can anyone help me find a way to build an ABCD passive stereo monitor (speaker) switching box? Radio Shack sells an active one for $29.99 but I just got laid off and don't have much money to play with. What I need to accomplish is having the ability to use one amplification source to power four different sets of monitors (not all at once, each pair individually) without having to constantly rewire my amp to check a mix on various monitors. I believe this should be a simple enough DIY project, but I don't want to wire it incorrectly and fry my amp because I frigged up the resistance. TIA!!!

Chattbox1 said:
Can anyone help me find a way to build an ABCD passive stereo monitor (speaker) switching box? Radio Shack sells an active one for $29.99 but I just got laid off and don't have much money to play with. What I need to accomplish is having the ability to use one amplification source to power four different sets of monitors (not all at once, each pair individually) without having to constantly rewire my amp to check a mix on various monitors. I believe this should be a simple enough DIY project, but I don't want to wire it incorrectly and fry my amp because I frigged up the resistance. TIA!!!

Its extremely simple. All you need is a 4pdt rotary switch mounted on a panel or in a box, and you're good to go. Here is a wiring diagram of such a switch, which can be purchased at http://www.digikey.com, http://www.mouser.com, and many other places:

Attachments

• switch.jpg
    switch.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 316
And here is what I ended up doing. This is not a schematic mind you, but an idea. I never drew out the schematic electronically, but sketched it on paper the old fashioned way :)

Essentially, using three TTL chips, I can use an "up" switch and a "down" switch to select 1 pair of speakers out of 16. I don't have 16 pairs of studio monitors, but this design supports up to that many. The 74LS193 is a binary encoded decimal (BCD) counter, that counts up or down based on pulses from the two switches. When you power the circuit on, I have a little capacitor and resistor (not shown) off the 74LS193 that defaults the counter chip to the first pair of speakers/monitors, so if I do nothing, I'd be using my main monitors.

The 7447 chip simply displays on a single digit LED display, the number of the monitors I am utilizing. "0" is default, and it counts to "9", then displays "A", "B", etc to "F".

The 74LS154 decodes the BCD output, but instead of displaying it on a LED display, it activates a low (ground) output, of which there are 16, to indicate which number is presented at its inputs. These outputs drive transistors, which drive relays, which have 5V coils and heavy duty 20A 4PST contacts, thus able to switch out the positive and minus leads, for both monitors no problem.

Probably gross overkill, but it was my solution to the multiple pairs of monitors problem. I specifically wanted the "default to this pair" feature, and this circuit made it easy. Also, I had everything including the relays in the junk drawer, so the "cost" was a blank 1U panel to drill and cut, some standoffs for mounting the perfboard that the two switches and the LED display are on, and some black paint to hide all the scratches I made while cutting and drilling the panel. Totally slopppy point to point wiring, but it works fine.

Attachments

• digiswitch.jpg
    digiswitch.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 256
Thank you very much!!! I knew it would be fairly simple, I just wanted to make sure before a trashed a power amp, being so short on cash that would be a real bad thing.

Isn't switching speakers after the amp kind of a bad idea with a normal DT switch? For one thing, you'll probably get pops as you break and make the connection. Also, the efficiency of your 4 speakers will likely be different, so you'll get blasted if your not careful. Seems like it would work fine though if you don't mind shutting of the amp, changing levels, then switching and turning the amp back on. Also, you can get switches that are meant for this, with wiping contacts, but they'll probably be more expensive. I doubt it will hurt your amp though, as the amp will only see no load momentarily and most modern amps will work fine with no load anyhow.

ebeam said:
Also, you can get switches that are meant for this, with wiping contacts, but they'll probably be more expensive. I doubt it will hurt your amp though, as the amp will only see no load momentarily and most modern amps will work fine with no load anyhow.

Using the latter circuit, I switched mine many times in the past with no particular thump, noise, click, etc. I also turn down the master fader before switching monitors, but I've never had a problem. Might be due to the design of my alesis amp? Or just luck?

I intend to pull down the master faders before switching to avoid damaging pops to my monitors. The Idea was not so to switch monitors on the fly in the middle of a mix, I don't believe that would accomplish much anyway. The idea is to be able to A-B (c-d) an overall mix, to get a feel for how everything sounds on various speakers. I hate to have a great sounding mix in the studio just to find out that it sounds like crap on an average set of speakers. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. But thank you for words of caution.

Well, I haven't actually done this myself, so Frederic would probably have a better idea than I. I just did some research a while ago for the same application and all the post on RAP, etc seemed to think it was a bad idea for the reasons I mentioned. You should make sure that the switch you buy is rated for the right current levels though. I actually ended up getting a second amp and ditching my mixer, so I built a passive volume control box with input and monitor switching built in.

Back