Need PC Recording SetUp Help: Have Guitartracks Pro

kyoun1e

Ok. I'm a technology idiot but really want to record with my PC and add in loops and what not to add spice to recordings and be able to jam along with my guitar. Here is my current setup:

* GuitarTracks Pro recording software
* Dell 5100 laptop (no internal soundcard; no stereo speakers connected)
* M-Audio preamp connected via USB to laptop (2 in holes)
* Small guitar amp with record out hole
* Gibson SG Standard

Guitartracks Pro seems central to everything I need -- would accept loops (I think?). I'm looking for looping software and I think I have it narrowed down to Acid Pro 4.0 or Fruity Loops. But what else do I need to optimize my recording situation and jam along with drums/other instruments?

Key questions:

* Do I need to add an external soundcard? Some say my M-Audio preamp acts as a soundcard...others dont. I hear music via headphones.
* Speakers essential?
* Acid Pro 4.0 or Fruity Loops most compatible with GuitarTracks?

Any help here would be much appreciated. I'm kinda paralyzed right now on what to do. If there's anyone who has been in my situation early on in their "recording careeer" and can lend a helping hand that would be great.

Thanks. KY

You said M-Audio preamp is connected via usb to laptop, so I guess it is a usb soundcard with preamp you are talking about. In that case you dont need a soundcard. Speakers are very essential if you want to mix your tracks. If you are just doing this with two or three tracks as a compact fun hobby, you dont have to. I know that fruity loops go well with any cakewalk product, also heard that acid works good too, but I dont know much about Acid so I can't compare.

This is definitely just for a fun hobby. I am in no way super serious. I'm in a band with some other guys and we swap ideas via email. I had been sending just guitar riffs created with guitartracks pro. What I'd like to do now is add other elements...drums, bass, etc. I don't imagine having more than 7 - 10 tracks.

I'm thinking the speakers would be a good idea, otherwise, I can only hear out my headphones (since my guitar goes in the amp and then the guitar amp goes directly into the M-Audio preamp). Any recos for decent PC speakers for a Dell laptop?

So Acid Pro 4.0 and Fruity Loops both are compatible with Guitartrack pro? That's good to know.

Thanks.

KY

Acid Pro 4.0 or Fruity Loops most compatible with GuitarTracks?
Why do you want these?GT pro supports Acid style looping so there would'nt be any need for Acid.There appears to be no MIDI function or softsynth support,so I don't know how it would play with Fuity Loops,unless you are just importing files.

BTW,they are not "holes" they are inputs and outputs.

obviously you need to get a powered speaker system. my laptop, from its headphones jack, runs a subwoofer, which then feeds two small stereo speakers (one right and one left). In my opinion they sound excelent and can get dang loud. By no means are they monitors used in pro mixing but they have good sound. I would suggest a system similar, a 3 piece, 2.1 system. They are about 140 bucks canadian.

Acid...What would you recommend then instead of Acid or Fruity? This is exactly what I am confused about. I really need specifics. (And that's what I meant by holes. Please...).

Mino...what kind of speakers do you have? I think I may pick some up. I have a headphone INPUT where I could plug them into my Dell.

Thanks. KY

Acid...What would you recommend then instead of Acid or Fruity?
Neither,if you want to record audio,say guitars,vocals and you want some beats to jam along with,just use loops.GT pro uses loops,no need for the other two softwares.
Fruity has soft synths if that's what your're looking for.There's nothing keeping you from recording audio from a keyboard though.

My reccomendation is to learn GT pro first,get used to the lingo,then start spreading out to other things.

As far as speakers,when I first started out I used a pair of Roland MA-8's.Basicly a good pair of boombox speakers,versatile enough to be pressed into service for other duties.If you don't want to spend a lot of cash that's about what you'll end up getting.
The secret is to burn a CD and play it on as many different stereo's,etc.,until you get a mix that sounds decent no matter what you play it on.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...70317505/g=rec/search/detail/base_pid/600630/

A little cheaper.:rolleyes:

Acid...very helpful. Thanks.

I agree. I need to get to know GTP a little better before investing a ton of money elsewhere. From what I understand you can get loops for free on the net or for a small price.

KY

Back