Need opinions on the Peavey classic 50

Peavey Transformer

I have been using a Peavey Transformer and have found it to be great for all styles of music...

It's a great amp, the clean sounds and the distorted sounds. The spring reverb is very nice too. I've owned the Classic 50 for about 4 years without any problems or repairs. It is a heavy amp, but I guess it can be good exercise to carry it up a flight of stairs :D

I really wish Peavey would release a 10-watt version, so you could really crank it up in a home studio.

yeah i like mine too....

i went without it for about a month i fried every resistor in it ...peavey said it got a surge ...i bought a 30 $ surge protector ...mine has th blonde tweed i love th way it looks my only wish is that it had better crunch , i like th crunch i get but its cranked way up and when i switch to clean its half th value of th crunch channel and louder ,they tell me this is common ,i'm thinking of getting a different od pedal for a volume boost

classic 50

I had one. I bought it brand new, 5 years ago. It sounded trebley when I playe my single coil G&L telecaster thru it. I went to Eurotubes and replaced ALL stock chinese tubes with JJ or sovtek tubes. It made a huge difference. Night and day difference. It sounded like an real tube amp. I could get a slight overdrive with the stock footswitch...it equaled the overdrive I got with a Boss SD-1...I wanted more. I guess I should have got a rat distortion pedal in order to get more Santana type sustain. I sold the amp, it was too heavy to lug up and down my apartment stairs. I got a Fender deluxe reverb single 12" speaker and about half the weight. Peavey is well put together, the stock tubes are awful.

lesterpaul, just curious about what was involved in the repair. I've been without my classic 50 for a few years now, and would like to get it repaired if possible. I think it was under a leaky tarp after an outdoor concert and ever since then I power it up and the tubes all but explode and nothing but massive hum. it looks like maybe the tube sockets are corroded .

well....

they sent th head part back to peavey and they replaced all th tubes and all th resistors ....and 98 $s :( ......you know they have a 5 year warranty ...i paid 98 $s because they said it had a surge ...

Back