Need opinions on new recorded song?

Bloodsoaked said:
I have three tracks of vocals, two deap voice vocals and one higher pitched vocal track. I also have a few tracks of vocals for some background vocals. The main vocal tracks have a total of three and the back up vocals have two.

I will bring the guitars down a bit again and try some other stuff. If you would like download the song and save it to your hard drive, then when I upload my newer version you can compare them. Only if you have the time and are willing to keep giving feedback and some great advice.

Thank you...

No probs... keep 'em coming ;)

I can have the whole song mixed and mastered for about $40.

Yeah... but this is so much more fun :D

40 dollars? really? Where? I think that would be neat to do on a song of mine. Compare the results of me mixing and "mastering" to theirs.

ericlingus said:
40 dollars? really? Where? I think that would be neat to do on a song of mine. Compare the results of me mixing and "mastering" to theirs.

This guy Click Here (Eric VanLandingham) will master one song free. He will also mix your songs as well, the mixing is NOT free. Check out his forums as well, lots of good info and some tutorials. Tell him Peter (Bloodsoaked) sent you.

If anyone is interested I posted a newer version of the song. The ride and crash cymbals stand out more as well as the hi-hats. I also put some reverb on the voclas and they seem to sit a bit better in the mix. The link to the song is at the begining of this thread.

The song is slowly getting better. How much does anyone think the one track of bass will make a difference? Big or small difference?

Bloodsoaked said:
If anyone is interested I posted a newer version of the song. The ride and crash cymbals stand out more as well as the hi-hats. I also put some reverb on the voclas and they seem to sit a bit better in the mix. The link to the song is at the begining of this thread.

The song is slowly getting better. How much does anyone think the one track of bass will make a difference? Big or small difference?

Yep... better ;) Definitely hear the cymbals now.

You're probably sick of hearing me say this now but I'd still take those guitar down a bit more... not much now but I feel that they are still too dominant.

Bass will make a diffence, without a doubt. What software do you use? Is there no way you could add a bassline, even a synth one, in the software you use?

What's the chance of getting individual audio tracks for this?? I'd love to have a go at mixing it, just to see what I'd come up with...

yeah this sounds much better. The vocals especially. I think the bass will make a huge difference. It would make the guitars much fuller.

yeppp...The whole mix is getting better.

How much does anyone think the one track of bass will make a difference? Big or small difference?

Definitely it make a lot of difference. It will add punch on the bottom end.

Synkrotron said:
Yep... better ;) Definitely hear the cymbals now.

You're probably sick of hearing me say this now but I'd still take those guitar down a bit more... not much now but I feel that they are still too dominant.

Bass will make a diffence, without a doubt. What software do you use? Is there no way you could add a bassline, even a synth one, in the software you use?

What's the chance of getting individual audio tracks for this?? I'd love to have a go at mixing it, just to see what I'd come up with...

I use a program called Mixcraft for recording, and mixing. I like it amd it seems to work good for me. I no idea if I can do anything else for a bass track. I might try and see if I can record a bass track tonight with some luck.

If there is some way I can send you each track I will I can zip them all up. I just don't have a server to put a large file on to upload it to you. I am not sure if sending them to you and you not having mixcraft would work. If you really wanted to try and mix it you could download the trial version and use all the feature free for a week. I am sure you could get the mix done in that amount of time. Let me know if you want to work something out.

Synkrotron said:

I am NOT sick of hearing that. Any and all advice and feedback is more than welcome. If I had not tried any of your info it would not even be close to where it is now. Thanks...

Bloodsoaked said:
I use a program called Mixcraft for recording, and mixing. I like it amd it seems to work good for me. I no idea if I can do anything else for a bass track. I might try and see if I can record a bass track tonight with some luck.

If there is some way I can send you each track I will I can zip them all up. I just don't have a server to put a large file on to upload it to you. I am not sure if sending them to you and you not having mixcraft would work. If you really wanted to try and mix it you could download the trial version and use all the feature free for a week. I am sure you could get the mix done in that amount of time. Let me know if you want to work something out.

Hi Peter,

I must admit that I'd rather work in Sonar rather than trying to get into another package. I'd need separate audio tracks for each item. I reckon that for me to just have a mess that 256kbps MP3 files would do. Each one would have to be exported such that they all start at 00:00:00 so that I can just import them into Sonar without worrying about syncing them together.

This could be a little bit of a pain so I'd understand if you decided against it.

Look forward to the bass track ;)

Synkrotron said:
Hi Peter,

I must admit that I'd rather work in Sonar rather than trying to get into another package. I'd need separate audio tracks for each item. I reckon that for me to just have a mess that 256kbps MP3 files would do. Each one would have to be exported such that they all start at 00:00:00 so that I can just import them into Sonar without worrying about syncing them together.

This could be a little bit of a pain so I'd understand if you decided against it.

Look forward to the bass track ;)

Hmmmmmmmmmmm...Not sure how I would make each track stats at 00:00:00. They all start at different times. I will look into it and see what I can do. Even if I can not thank you for the offer.

I have lowered the guitars even a bit more as you suggested. Take a listen if you like. I think there might be to much reverb on the vocals. I am not sure how much reverb to put on the vocals. Everyone seems to say that vocals need some reverb to make then sit better in the mix. I have no idea. I have tried different reverb settings am still a bit confused on this. Any advice/ideas?

Thanks...

I just listened to it again (LOL)...and it seems like the vocals are either to loud or are not "embeded" into the mix. They still seem to be standing out like a seperate track than the rest of the mix. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Bloodsoaked said:
I just listened to it again (LOL)...and it seems like the vocals are either to loud or are not "embeded" into the mix. They still seem to be standing out like a seperate track than the rest of the mix. :mad: :mad: :mad:

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "embeded". Could you point me to an example? Some commercial music perhaps?

I'm not sure that reverb really suits this vocal style to be honest but that's only my opinon. I'd play with some different settings or even move away from reverb and try a bit of mild delay instead. What you've done sounds OK to me though but it's worth experimenting with loads of different settings on your effects. One thing I would say is keep them subtle though.

That's sounding much better now and I'd not do any more on this until you get your bass track in because the whole process is going to start again.

Don't worry too much about those tracks I asked for... don't want to cause you more trouble than you're having man;) At least wait until you have that bass track sorted.

later

andy

Synkrotron said:
I'm not sure what you mean when you say "embeded". Could you point me to an example? Some commercial music perhaps?

"Embeded"........ummmmmmm....I guess part of the song. The guitars, and drums all seem to be together and the vocal tracks completely seperate. Not embeded (maybe mixed) into the song.

Synkrotron said:
I'm not sure that reverb really suits this vocal style to be honest but that's only my opinon. I'd play with some different settings or even move away from reverb and try a bit of mild delay instead. What you've done sounds OK to me though but it's worth experimenting with loads of different settings on your effects. One thing I would say is keep them subtle though.

I will try some delay and remove the reverb just to check it out. What exactly is the delay and/or reverb supossed to add to the vocal tracks?

Synkrotron said:
That's sounding much better now and I'd not do any more on this until you get your bass track in because the whole process is going to start again.

Yeah, I might swing by guitar center tonight and buy a beginer bass so I can get the bass track down. So I might have a bass track tonight :confused:

you should definately post your first mix and then your last one once you finish it. I think it would be interesting and show your progress. I think this sounds great now. Just the kick drum is a bit too clicky I think. It needs more low end to it I think. How'd you track the guitars? Did you just do each section at a time or like do it all the way through? I'm curious how you guys do it. I break my songs into sections and then record it like that.

ericlingus said:
you should definately post your first mix and then your last one once you finish it. I think it would be interesting and show your progress. I think this sounds great now. Just the kick drum is a bit too clicky I think. It needs more low end to it I think. How'd you track the guitars? Did you just do each section at a time or like do it all the way through? I'm curious how you guys do it. I break my songs into sections and then record it like that.

I will see if I can find and post both version so we can hear the difference from the first to last mix. I like the a clicky bass drum, I think it just sounds better.

I got a bass tonight and recorded a track. I hope to have it posted on Saturday.

I record guitar track played all the way through the whole song with out stopping. I played all four guitar tracks that way. I will also play the bass track in one take from begining to end.

Ok, the song has a bass track now:

Check it out here: Killing You with bass track

This was only my second take recording the bass line for the song. I will redo it today to get it tighter but you can hear the bass.

Let me know if you think it is to loud, not loud enough and so on. There are no effects on the bass track. I recorded it from the line out on my amp.

I also put allot less reverb on the vocals and I think the vocals sit better in the song now. I do not like the way the crash cymbals, I am going to keep mixing today.

Peter

This is much better now :D

Still needs a bit or tweeking however... The drums still need bringing out more... that is, take the guitars down a little further. Reason I say that is because they are still masking the cymbals a little too much... you can hear them but I'd like to hear more.

There's one hell of a buzz in there that you can only really hear right at the end of the track. I'm assuming that it's the bass recording because that buzz was not there before.

Also, I know that the drums are programmed and you could do with spending a bit of time humanizing them... especially the snare... but that's only my opinion... it may well be what you want to hear.

I will see if I can find and post both version so we can hear the difference from the first to last mix.

yeah, this would be a fantastic idea... you'd be amazed at how this track has progressed over the last week ;)

cheers

andy

Synkrotron said:
This is much better now :D

Still needs a bit or tweeking however... The drums still need bringing out more... that is, take the guitars down a little further. Reason I say that is because they are still masking the cymbals a little too much... you can hear them but I'd like to hear more.

I made the drums a bit higher and took down the bass guitar just a bit as I thought it was a bit to loud in the mix. You can heat the cymbals and ride allot better now.

Synkrotron said:
There's one hell of a buzz in there that you can only really hear right at the end of the track. I'm assuming that it's the bass recording because that buzz was not there before.

Yeah, for some reason the bass track has some noise on it. I trimed the end of the song so there should be no more noise at the end of the song.

Synkrotron said:
Also, I know that the drums are programmed and you could do with spending a bit of time humanizing them... especially the snare... but that's only my opinion... it may well be what you want to hear.

Humanizing the drums will take some time. I am not going for the 100% human feel/sound with the drums. I was tryig to get a decent sound on all the drums and cymbals and then trying to program decent beats for each riff.

Synkrotron said:
yeah, this would be a fantastic idea... you'd be amazed at how this track has progressed over the last week ;).

I will see if I can get my first copy from a week ago and post it as well. So we you all can hear the difference in the two mixes.

I think for the most part I am done. Being so new to this I really have no idea what else I can do. I am sure I can tweak this and tweak that and I think I still will over the next few weeks. I am going to send this song to get mixed and mastered by a pro and see the difference a "pro" mix will make. Once I have it I will post the Pro mix.

Thanks everyone for all the feedback.

Oh yeah, in general...what do you guys think of the song? Not the recorded sound but the song it's self? Song writing?, flow and so on? Thanks...

Peter

Back