Need opinion on song and mix

Skysaw

Hey all, I got a sort of trippy mostly-instrumental rock number here, with sort of a funky King Crimson thing going on. It has a lot of little quirks bumps and effects, but basically just rocks out.

I'd appreciate any feedback both on the mix and the music itself. The mix has been tough as there are a number of different bass and guitar sounds that rotate throughout, and the drums go from loops to midi and back again. Meanwhile, I'd like some sort of cohesion during this madness.

I also do a lot of overlapping of dry/wet, clean/effect-heavy, subtle/in-your-face. I guess my question is, does it get you movin'? :)

Skysaw..

I like the tune. Yeah got me movin'. ;) Nice groove. Over all I like the sounds you used.

Can't comment on the mix much, I'll leave that to the experienced peeps here. But I think it's pretty good.

Groovy tune.

:D

that's a neat little groove.
I like your stuff
drums had what sounded like clipping on the snare.

unacceptable color is an oblique strategy

i agree: quite dancetastic

snare sound kicks some ass, but could possibly kick more if it was compressed to get some of the ring to stand out (unless the snare doesn't have any ring, in which case that'd be pretty hard).

It sounds like you opted to have the bass carry the bottom end rather than the kick. I'm not sure that's the greatest idea, since there are some times when the bass is absent for a while and therefore so is the bottom end. If this is what you're going for, so be it, but on groovin tunes like that i like to feel that kick drum in my chest.
That said, the bass sounded pretty good, as did the geetars.

Thanks for the comments!

DimChandeliers, I can't hear where you say there is clipping. I scanned through the file in Sound Forge and don't see anything that looks like clipping either. Is there a particular point where you hear it?

Qenn, did you mean that you thought the kick wasn't mixed loud enough? I know the kick and bass don't lock together every beat, but that is by design.

I think it should get heavier and deeper with more ass on the kick and bass as it moves along. IT sounded like it was gonna take off about midway and then it went back to the thin sound like at the beginning. This could make a hell of an intro to about a 6 minute movement with theme variation in solos. Once the groove is cast completely, LT Bob could bring smoke on a section with sax. :)

Lots of good sounds in there. Could use more kick - as pointed out. I can't even tell if you've got a kick drum in there. Other than that the drums sounds are really good. Sounds more like an interlude than a song, but good stuff anyway.

Yes, it is actually an "interlude." It's one of three short instrumentals on my upcoming album. They're sort of mood-changers between different sections of the collection of songs.

Back