Need opinion on drum sound

BlackHawk2029

This is actually a youtube video, but i need some opinions on the drum sound. It's just 2 MXL 603's, and an Audix D6. I'm trying to figure out if there's anything i can do to bring out the toms a little more in future recordings with this setup, because i don't yet have all the equipment i need to fully mic all the toms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1dvp9GlhPc&fmt=22

i have no idea how you could improve the sound with just three mics, but considering it was three mics it sounded pretty good.

This is actually a youtube video, but i need some opinions on the drum sound. It's just 2 MXL 603's, and an Audix D6. I'm trying to figure out if there's anything i can do to bring out the toms a little more in future recordings with this setup, because i don't yet have all the equipment i need to fully mic all the toms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1dvp9GlhPc&fmt=22

i'd definitely try out the recorderman method instead of the spaced pair. that'll bring the OHs closer to the toms and give a better stereo spread to boot. you may even find that you don't need tom mics at all.

in fact, you're already using the exact same mic setup as me (603/d6), except i also put a 57 on snare. get that, and recorderman, and you'll have fully cloned me, which can't possibly be a bad thing! :cool::D

nice playing btw. :)

Thank you very much drossfile, you cocky bastard you. I've tried the recorder man, on a smaller 4 piece kit. I've found on the big kit the right mic tends to get in the way when i want to go after that china. I'll have to experiment a bit more with it.

Your pies are pretty spread out, can you move the china a foot to the left? Of course there's not much you can do to get to that second floor with a mic in your face....

Thank you very much drossfile, you cocky bastard you. I've tried the recorder man, on a smaller 4 piece kit. I've found on the big kit the right mic tends to get in the way when i want to go after that china. I'll have to experiment a bit more with it.

well, the "2 stick" distance rule is pretty flexible. the real important thing is to match the snare distance. i had the same problem, so i moved 'em out an additional 3/4 stick length or so. good luck man! :)

ditto on the recorderman setup.

What did you use to record this for a camera and software? I want to video record some stuff but im not sure which program will allow me to use a camera and my interface.

your bassist looks like a french onion seller :D

ditto on that too! ;)

-josh

Back