Need New Amp ??

Be Loveless

When I first bought my Jc-77 I played my Parker Nitefly through it and was completely satisfied for a few years. The past year or so and the past couple of months especially I have been increasingly dissapointed with my sound. I play clean and hard. Lately everything sounds sort of thin to me, papery and overly harsh. I 've tried numerous tone settings on my amp, messed with the volume and tone controls on my guitar, played with pickup hieght, tried preamps and outboard eq's. I've tried some of my other guitars through the amp and still this "thinness" comes across. I'm curious as to whether my ears have become so familiar with this amp that they now notice it's weaknesses more than it's strengths. I have previously owned a fender twin and a music man hd 130, not completely happy with either (though I kind of regret selling the Music Man). Where should I start looking for a Big CLean full sound with definition and clarity without britleness or painful bite? I'd prefer Solid State over tube but I'll do what I have to.
I know I need to simply play a ton of amps but reccomendations as to where to start would be most appreciated. Price IS an object. The cheaper the better.

WHat!!!

I have'nt had it officialy checked in a long time. I think it's fairly sensitive actually. I play and listen at relatively low volumes. I can can pick put very minor eq changes. I can hear may name called from the opposite side of a crowded noisy bar (I'm a bouncer/barback). I'm usually the one who turns the volume down on stereos, the T.V. etc.. , except for talk radio I'm the one who turns that up.
I believe my hearing is in good order but than again I have no insurance and have not had it checked in some time.
I know that part of the problem is my basement which has knotty pine walls. The flutter echo is insane down there. I just finished wrapping a shitload of rockwool panels and have started hanging them to help remedy the situation. However I have moved the amp to other areas of the house to hear it in different rooms. It sounds a little better but the problem is still there.

Just took a bunch of online hearing tests, everything seems dandy and my loudness response curve is normal.
Now, lets get back to gear suggestions.

This is turning into some sort of Blog is'nt it?
When I play with a preamp (Intersound IVP) straight into my studio monitor (Beheringer "Truth") it's actually pretty damn close to the sound that I am looking for. This leads me to ask. Is it safe as far as durability to use a monitor as a guitar amp? Also, would a keyboard amp be closer to this sound than a guitar amp?
I think I want CLEAN FLAT amplification.

Maybe just grab yourself a power amp, like for a PA. I don't know how well this would work, but I'd suggest getting PA speakers with it. I don't recommend using monitors for two reasons: monitors are meant for near-field listening and that is not what a guitar amp is meant for, and monitors would probably blow if you played too loud. I know you said you play at low volumes, but even if you crank it just loud enough to play over a drum set, it might cause damage. Don't hold me on this, I don't really know. Use the EQ that you have (I think you said you have an off-board EQ) to shape your sound and then just put it through the power amp. All guitar amps color your sound, even on their clean channel, so this might be why you don't like the sound of a Fender or Music Man. Before laying down the cash, I'd ask an expert of some sort, as I am far from one. :p

Good luck!

I've been looking for the same thing for a while. Have you looked into getting a used Acoustic head? The brand "Acoustic" is what I mean (from the '70s).

I had one. Deafening and clean. Solid state. Used by MANY famous bands in the '70s. Just read up on them.

The models to look for are: 150 (head), 134 (combo) and....136 (not sure of the model on this - it's 2x12, same circuit as first 2 amps in this sentence).

Check 'em out. They're loud as sin and cheap and durable. Read up on it.

LL

Are they CLEAR I want Clarity. There is something "tinny" about my roland that is getting on my nerves. I'll check them out tough, I've heard of the brand but never investigated them before. Thanks for the tip. What are you using now and whats your problem with it?

Do you have some experience withone or do you know of a player that uses one?
I checked out the Harmony central reviews of the acoustic 150. Tons of positive feedback for that head although it sounds like it's pretty much a PA head marketed as an instrument amplifier.
I'm about to bite the bullet and head out to guitar monger in a couple of minutes.
Will post results if there are any to speak of. I hope that early Monday afternoon is not a popular time with the Kids.. You know the ones that are sportin mullets, puffy hightops, and dressing like members of Loverboy again because it's the "New" high fasion?!?!?! NOw I know what the 35-40 set thought of me when I was wearing disco shirts and flares in the 90's :D .

Something must be wrong somewhere...people will KILL for the clean tones from the Roland JC amps... How much have you tried playing around with the EQ? I can't see how you couldn't get a good clean tone from that amp with just a little EQ adjustment.

I've owned it for four years. It is clean, VERY CLEAN but also a bit tinny and brittle. I've tried so many Eq settings maybe 15 or 20 a sessionboth subtle and extreme. There is something lacking and too much of something else. especially brittle when I hit a chord HARD or aggressively. The bottom end is kinda floppy too. Clean but now sounds weak to my ears.
I did play a fifteen inch fender twin today, I want that kind of power without the grit or the ringing treble. Also played an ampeg bass amp the new portoflex looking one, it was nice but not quite there.

ez_willis said:
Get rid of the guitar and pick up a ukelele. :D
A really big ukelele :D
I found another way to put it
Too much clang and clank
Not enough boing and BOOM

Todays tryouts:

Roland KC series- fell flat

SWR Strawberry blonde new- Great amp ,real nice but absolutely for acoustics only. My piezo sounded great through it

Green Crate Late Model acoustic amp 12" new- This was pretty close too what I was looking for but still no magic and the build quality seemed a little iffy.

Fender pro junior new -- I was really impressed. This is a great little amp and super loud. Cool sound but not one that I could live with day in and day out

Fender twin "15" new- Another great amp but has that underlying grit "sizzle?" that I hear with all fenders and prohibitively expensive

crate el cheapo practice model new- as expected, a total piece of shit.

ampeg br100 classic bass amp new- I really like this amp may even try it again, it lacked a little punch but maybe there is a sweetspot somewhere I have yet to discover. Seemed well built. A very proffesional and mature tool.

Crate (It was guitar center what elese do you want?) monoblock head- total piceof shit, eq did not work, volume did not work, gain did not work. Oh but ihas a really "heavy duty" metal casing :rolleyes:

Various GK amps - not for me, seemed solid though

swr workingmans- a little wimpy and washed out

Marshall ministack (not micro) -- dull, gimmicky toy

Your ears are working too good, that's the problem. Crank your amp up to 11 and play 'Smoke on the Water' for 3 days straight while standing directly in front of your amp. That tinny thing will be gone.

I did'nt mean to make you repeat yourself. I will check them out if possible. I must say after I've had a few hours between and the amp, I was quite impressed with the ampeg b100r. It was'nt the soun that I had in my head but it just had this SOLID sound that I felt an infinity with. I liked that amp.

The reviews on those ampegs are astounding however I can't find one locally. I won't by an amp without hearing it first.

Back