Need monitors to start out with

CWatkinsNash

Yes, I'm asking what is probably an overasked noob question. I need suggestions for a smallish pair of monitors that an amateur hack like myself can attempt to put to good use.

The room: untreated at the moment, 10' x 12' and it's also my bedroom. :o Not optimal, but budget issues aside, it's really handy to be able to roll back out of bed at 2:00 am when inspiration strikes. Plaster walls, hardwood floors, about 20% windows and 30% bed.

I know nothing about studio monitors. What I do know is that my roommate has a pair in the storage room but they are WAY too big for this space. (Don't know what they are, fronts aren't marked and they are up on a high shelf so I'd probably hurt myself trying to turn one around. But they are just too big.)

I can't afford much but I'm cool with buying used, I just don't know what I'm really looking for. Right now I've got a variety of "proving grounds" (various computer speakers, iPod, stereo system, etc) around the house but trial and error is getting old FAST. I'm mixing with my Sennheiser HD 202s and a small set of desktop speakers with a sub.

I'm trying to learn good mixing technique but if I'm not hearing what I need to be hearing, it's kind of... frustrating.

I know what you mean. Well first things first you have to read up on monitors.

I like the Yamaha HS series. they are killer. That's my opinion. go to guitar center and listen to the speakers see what YOU like best.
I started out mixing on Hifi speakers. But i understood how they speakers mixed with my room and how other bands sounded through them.

again if you get monitors listen to songs you love through them first to get them going and hear how the other music sounds. note what songs have and lack (high end, mid range, lows, crisp muddy)

Mixing is in your head, it's hearing the sound and deciding what to do with it. Most people get this conceived notion that if you own what the pros use then your mixes will come out extraordinary. Not true. it will help but not true.
They can probably mix on my gear and come out with something better than what i'm doing because they know what to do and how to do it.

Practice makes perfect.

Also having a treated environment is key. people have told me, your monitors are only as good as your room allows them to be.

hope that helps. and google whatever you're looking for. you'll gain a lot more knowledge about a lot more different terms than if you just come onto the forum posting. (not saying you shouldn't, by all means post until your brain hurts) :]

Thanks for your reply. I've been doing a lot of thinking over the last couple of days, and you've reinforced a lot of what went through my mind about this. And I have been reading, but I have so many areas that need work it's hard to maintain focus. When my brain starts to hurt, I back away and go write a song.

I'm sort of in a tricky spot. I need a new mic, I need monitors, and I need to treat this room. I can't do all of it at once, but any one of those alone will only help so much, ya know? So, I discussed it with my roommate yesterday. He needs a new condenser also, and offered to split the cost with me and we'll share it.

With that decided, it looks like my path will be:
Figure out what the room needs to get clean results with the new mic. (Will also borrow monitors to help with that process.)
Make those changes (as much as possible), then try to find affordable monitors that will allow me to mix accurately in the resulting environment.
Of course, then I'll have to make further adjustments. Since both myself and my roommate tend to be perfectionists, this could turn into an infinite loop. :) Knowing when to say "done" is not one of my strong points.

None of this is especially *hard*, but it is complicated and there's a lot to take in. I've ordered a book that was recommended to me in the Newbie forum, and I'm reading a ton on here and elsewhere on the web, and I'm trying to discipline myself. Trying to learn all the aspects at once is daunting - MIDI, recording, mixing, equipment usage and terminology, new software, etc., all while also trying to get my vocal performance back to where it was before I quit singing.

The great thing is, I can still make music while I'm learning. I'm not learning surgery here - no one will die if I do something wrong. There's comfort in that. :)

i just saw that you lived in nashville and i got to school up there

Oh, I didn't even notice your location earlier! Are you in one of the music programs? I used to work in Green Hills and many of my employees were music students at Belmont. There are some really great programs here.

If you're on a tight budget, I would recommend a pair of M-Audio Studiophile AV 40's. I was (am) in a similar situation as you, and to get started learning and mixing without cheap crappy speakers, i picked these up (about $150 through musiciansfriend) and they have been great for what i'm trying to do. I haven't listened to many types of monitors, but I will say that I don't think I can ever go to cheap speakers again. I've been spoiled. Great sound, and great price too.

If you're on a tight budget, I would recommend a pair of M-Audio Studiophile AV 40's. I was (am) in a similar situation as you, and to get started learning and mixing without cheap crappy speakers, i picked these up (about $150 through musiciansfriend) and they have been great for what i'm trying to do. I haven't listened to many types of monitors, but I will say that I don't think I can ever go to cheap speakers again. I've been spoiled. Great sound, and great price too.

Back